PDA

View Full Version : 8500 and 9600 board questions

Stigma
03-22-2001, 09:32 AM
Hello all. I'm in the process of doing some upgrades to a 7200 and a 7100. The plan is to drop in 8500 boards with 300mhz cards. I just picked up one 8500 board and one 9600 board and two Apple 300 mhz processors, at least that's what they told me they were. I know the 9600 board won't fit the 7200 case, but the price was right. I tried hooking the 8500 board up to my 8500 to see if it works or not and I couldn't get it to boot, it chimes, but the screen stays black. When I put my 8500 board back in, which was running when I took it out, it wouldn't boot. Any suggestions? I have the original 132mhz card and a Railgun G3 card that I know are good. Also, does the 300mhz card need the 1 meg L2 cache or can it run with less or without it altogether? On the 9600 board, there isn't a port for the monitor, would this have been on a PCI video card? Is there any place I can look up Apple part numbers to see exactly what board and what processor I have? Thanks and sorry for the deluge of questions.
Vince

the_anarch
03-22-2001, 11:38 AM
Oh boy. Wow do you have a lot going on here. The idea of putting other Apple motherboards into a 7100 or 7200 (or both) is pretty ambitious. If you're serious about this, you might want to post a new thread in the Custom Configurations forum. The people in there know no fear.

I'll handle the simple questions first:

The 9600 board had no onboard video. You have to have a PCI video card in order to hook up a monitor- in other words to use it at all.

I don't know of any reasons why your boards will not run without an L2 cache installed. They will run slow, but they will run. However, the L2 cache chip does look sorta similar to the ROM SIMM (or is it a DIMM?) in the 8500. If you don't have that ROM SIMM, it definitely won't boot (although I don't know if it would actually chime or not).

I'm thinking that's a likelihood because it's not very often that people sell motherboards with the ROM SIMM included. On the other hand, you did get a processor to go with it, which also is not usually included... Did you buy the processors separate or were they paired with the motherboards?

As for why your existing 8500 won't work when you put its original motherboard back in... Well, I do know first-hand that working with those motherboards can be real difficult. And I do remember reading in another thread, a good while ago, that someone had accidentally knocked off a couple of resistors or capacitors while removing their 8500 motherboard. I don't know if that would stop the board from booting, but you should check that you didn't accidentally damage the board. Then go through the usual suspects, reseating all the cards and RAM sticks to make sure they haven't wiggled loose during all of this... There's also two motherboard power supply connectors at the top, one for the 5V and 12V lines, and another smaller one, closer to the front, for the 3.3V lines. Make sure they're both connected...

Lessee, what else... at this point I'd just go through and make absolutely certain that everything is plugged in and properly seated as they should be. Sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting things can do the trick. See what happens and let us know.

Once you've got your original 8500 up and running again, I wouldn't suggest messing around with it in the process of stuffing another 8500 board into a 7200. Then come over to the Custom Config forum and we'll talk about how to proceed with that. Although I'll warn you, I doubt any of us know how to do the precise thing you want to do, we'll all be making it up as we go along. Doing this sort of thing always means you're going out on a limb by yourself, but at least with the forum, you've got a bunch of guys cheering you on back at the tree trunk. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

magician
03-22-2001, 01:02 PM
the only 300MHz 604e daughtercards ever built were Mach 5's, usable only in Mach 5 8600 and 9600's. They are not compatible with earlier versions of the Nitro and Tsunami logic boards.

the_anarch
03-22-2001, 04:23 PM
Crap. I knew I was forgetting something.

magician
03-22-2001, 06:12 PM
it's ok, t_a.

we got each other's backs.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stigma
03-23-2001, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone. Everything is ok now. I probably didn't have everything seated properly. The processor boards are not 300's after all, they're only 120's, and they are working. When it comes time to start cranking up the 7200 I'll post on the custom config board.
Thanks again,
Vince