PDA

View Full Version : Can I upgrade my 450Mhz G4

czarkovin
03-18-2001, 10:49 AM
Are there any upgrade paths for my box. I currently use it almost
exclusively for audio recording (digital performer) and would
like to expand that use, to add simultaneous use of a software
sampler (VST) most likely with logic audio. any suggestions?

Louie
03-18-2001, 02:57 PM
Do you mean processor upgrades, storage, or what? The answers are "Yes".

czarkovin
03-18-2001, 03:02 PM
Louis:

What options do I have in regards to processor upgrade. I know I can
boost my memory. What would I gain in regards to performance. Is there
a dual processor upgrade which acts like a native dual processor or am
I better off just selling what I have and buying anew.

batmantis00
03-18-2001, 06:32 PM
the yosemite based g4 (yikes/pci graphis) only shipped with processors up to 400mhz right? so i assume you have a sawtooth based g4. that motherboard uses a different sort of processor module than all the earlier computers, so the current 3rd party processor upgrades are not compatible. atleast if anyone has made an upgrade for sawtoothe, i havent heard anything about it.

if (and this is a big if) you find someone who has a sawtooth that died, then you could use the processor module from their computer, whether that be a dual 450, single 733, or anything in between. since those computers are all still relatively new and probably still under warrantee, you will probably see an upgrade before you find spare processors lying around.

in short, no you probably cannot upgrade your computers processor (yet).

either that or im wrong. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Louie
03-18-2001, 08:46 PM
XLR8 is about to release dual G4 upgrade cards but you must have a machine that uses the ZIF socket to use it. If you have a SawTooth, you're out of luck for now.

magician
03-19-2001, 03:34 AM
right. If you have a Yikes, we can sell you a dual 500Mhz G4 upgrade from XLR8 which is expected to ship around May 15, if not sooner. We are shipping the dual-G4 Velocity upgrades for beige G3 tomorrow, so they are coming, finally.

if you have a Sawtooth, then the only other option is a Sonnet dual-G4 upgrade, which is supposed to ship later this month, I believe. We just added them to our Sonnet page. We must note, however, that historically Sonnet boards do not support audio applications well. While there are isolated reports of success, the vast majority describe glitches, crashing, and general unusability where audio is concerned. Photoshop or Quark is no problem. Audio, or video, are generally not a good fit for Sonnet upgrades.

that said, no one I know has actually tested one of these things, so YMMV.

I figure they have to figure out how to build good upgrades that support audio and video eventually, right?

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

batmantis00
03-19-2001, 03:56 AM
if they could figure out how to put a g3 in a 7200, they really ought to be capable of working with some audio equipment. theyve been making upgrades for a few years now, its about time they figured it out.