PDA

View Full Version : OS 9 date issues

revi
02-09-2001, 05:45 PM
I am running 9.0.4 and have been getting 'you're date is wrong' type system messages when I boot, the date then shows up as 8/7/1956. Does this sound like a virus? It all started to happen when I ran Carrara (from what was Metacreations). Also, what's the word on 9.1? Is it just a transition deal to OSX or is it better than 9.0.4? Thanks in advance.

Dogstarman
02-09-2001, 05:58 PM
I assume you reset the Date/Time and then restart and it is whacked again? That is a good indicator that your battery is dying on the motherboard. You should also notice that your AppleTalk settings should be resetting along with the Date/Time. What kinda of Mac do you have?

OS9.1 is mostly a maintenance release that fixes several obscure issues. Again, depending on your machine, it might help you out with some situations. Give us a little more info and we can point you a little more clearly.

Louie
02-09-2001, 06:00 PM
The date problem is a classic symptom of a dead PRAM battery. The most common battery is the 3.6 v Lithium Battery, Radio Shack 32-026, about $10. There are one or two other batteries that were used by older Apple's. What model machine do you have?

OS 9.1 has some bug fixes and a few new features. It will be the "Classic Mac OS" that will work with OS X.

revi
02-09-2001, 06:53 PM
Beige G3 512MB RAM, 500MHz XLR8 ZIF, Apple installed UW card with factory 9G and IBM 10K 9G, OrangeMicro combo USB and 1394 card, pretty much full MotU (PCI-324, 2408, DP, etc.). Machine was new in November '98.

When I reboot, the date seems to stay cool, it appears to go bad when starting from cold boots.

Louie
02-09-2001, 07:40 PM
The 9500 uses the battery that I described below. That's your problem.

revi
02-09-2001, 07:49 PM
forgive me if I'm missing the obvious, but I don't understand...how does the 9500 fit into all of this? I have to admit that changing the motherboard battery does not sound like a particularly big project (although, and hat's off to Murphy, the timing of it all is, of course, less than spectacular...), I'm still somewhat suprised that the battery would go south this quickly.

I'll have to try matters as you suggest: 3.6 v Lithium Battery, Radio Shack 32-026

Thank you for your assistance!

Louie
02-09-2001, 08:17 PM
Sorry, I had just answered a question about a 9500. Your machine uses the same battery and it's a heck of a lot easier to get to.

revi
02-09-2001, 08:46 PM
Grooviness...I'll get one...does it seem odd that it would fail after only 2.25 years? Is there anything that might be a drain that I should be aware of? Am I just being paranoid about a $10 battery?

Thanks again!

Louie
02-09-2001, 09:23 PM
The life varies. They average about 3 years. Variables include shelf life when bought, machine useage (uses more battery power with machine off and even more if unplugged); and the phases of the moon. We all buy batteries.

After you get the new battery, run a good utility (NUM, TechTool, etc.) to fix all of your bad file dates.

revi
03-09-2001, 09:22 PM
Hey man,

Get a load of this, I finally got the damn battery (BTW it's RadioShack part 23-026: 3.6v 850mAh Lithium battery) and I'm getting ready to install.

So I pop the hood and immediately get cold feet (say what you will, it's true...). So let me run a couple of quick questions by you first, if I may:

1.) the battery is under the big Apple AV card, yes?
2.) are there any precautions to be taken removing this card?
3.) are there any precautions to be taken replacing the battery?
4.) where does one acquire the previously mentioned utilities?

I've never replaced batteries on any of these beasts, so I hope you will forgive my anxiousness (this @#$%$#@, if wonderful, beast has taken a minute to get fully flippin' configured with all the audio and video and I freely admit I've got the willies).

Again, Thanks In Advance (BTW I've got my other beast to work with until this rascals taken care of, so no catastrophic hurry here).

iver|revi

Louie
03-09-2001, 10:36 PM
I don't remember if you have the MT or DT model.

Here's a schematic of the MT http://www.macgurus.com/beta/mbppcg3mini.html

And the DT http://www.macgurus.com/beta/mbppcg3desk.html

Discharge static electricity by touching the plugged in power supply.

The battery box is right up front and has a black plastic cover that you release by squeezing the two ends. Pry the battery out gently. Be sure to match + and - poles.

You may need to pull an extra long PCI card but not the PERCH card.

Utilities from any of the mail order companies.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 09 March 2001).]

gt
03-09-2001, 11:05 PM
Revi wrote:
>I am running 9.0.4 and have been getting 'you're date is wrong' type system messages

Is this something new in OS9? No one seemed to bat an eye so I guess I'm behind the times.
I'm familiar w/batteries and the symptoms when they go bad.

I've never received (nor heard of) such a message.

I'm running retail 9.1 and don't remember reading about it

Curious,
Greg

Louie
03-09-2001, 11:46 PM
It seems like it has been around a long time, but maybe it is OS 9. If you Zap the Pram you are warned that the date and time is wrong. Any other condition that puts the date back to 8/7/1956 will cause the warning at startup.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 09 March 2001).]

kaye
03-09-2001, 11:48 PM
Greg,

That warning is not new. OS8.6 has it, and 8.0 says something a little different but warns you. k

magician
03-09-2001, 11:49 PM
use the date and time control panel to set the time automatically over the net using a network time server.

gt
03-10-2001, 12:16 AM
My misreading. I took it to mean the error message popped up on a boot or something. I know the PRAM message (only too well).
Thanx

Greg

Louie
03-10-2001, 01:27 PM
It does pop up during the boot sequence.

revi
03-10-2001, 07:33 PM
Greetings! All's clear and a success (woo-hoo)! Thanks to all for the info!

Louie: Thank you in particular for your assistance. I would just add one thing. The PERCH card in the MT (sorry for having left that out) does occlude access to the battery. For those of us with 'non-tapered' fingers, removing the card would certainly simplify getting to the battery. Needless to say, I did it the hard way, but next time I would be very inclined to remove the PERCH card. Which leads to the question, given all of the attachments and whatnot, how difficult is it to remove? Other than that everything went quite smoothly and I thank you for all the info!

Louie
03-10-2001, 11:16 PM
Sorry, the only one I've been into is a DT with an audio-only PERCH card. Your A/V PERCH card must be longer. I've never pulled one. Apple used to warn against it. There are a couple of screws involved and maybe a built-in modem. It shouldn't be a BIG deal.

Did the battery solve your date/time problem?

magician
03-12-2001, 01:45 AM
I think there are three or four screws involved in pulling the PERCH card. No biggy.

revi
03-16-2001, 10:31 PM
Just wanted to say that everything is ducky and thank you for your usual thorough and useful support. Makes it clear once again why I count on the 'Gurus for all things hardware for the Mac!

Thanks!

revi

Louie
03-18-2001, 02:53 PM
Great!