PDA

View Full Version : Mac on a server network

detroitsuperfly
03-12-2001, 09:09 AM
I've allmost talked my company into purchasing G4s to replace our aging PCs. Their big question is: Is there software that would create a disc image (icon)
for each of out servers on the Mac desktop? Or actually is that even an issue w/ macs?
Any input would be great. Please help me break the shackles of PC tyranny!!

ChrisYip
03-12-2001, 09:26 AM
What do you mean a "disk image"?.. You can certainly have your machines log right onto the server and mount the server volume(s) which then shows up as an icon that you can click and works just like a disk. This can be set to occur on start-up.

What's even nicer is that with ASIP (or even the new Appleshare) you can mount by IP address, something that is annoying to do on the PC's unless you are running NT / 98 or ME -.The Macs also allow you to send user name and password to the server so you can mount on the volumes you are allowed to.

Under Win95, the user name is what was typed in on the computer when it was first booted up on the network ';Welcome to Microsoft Networking", then you send the password - this means that if you are on someone else's computer, you then need to know THEIR password to get the volumes mounted

Under NT (and I think 98) you have the option of sending a user name and password when you navigate to a drive either view Network Neighbourhood or by "Find Computer".

Note that for Windows networking with a Mac server, your best bet is AppleShareIP since it supports Windows clients - we use it all the time in the lab - my students have no idea that their server is an ASIP box (G3/300 upgraded 7300 using ASIP 6.3 w/ OS 9.0.4 w/ 224 MB RAM and driving 2 x 18 GB + 4 x 36 GB drives) They have no problem accessing it via their 98/95/NT laptops and lab computers and they can mount drives even when they are on their DSL lines at home)

Depending on who you talk to - ASIP is at least as good, if not better, than NT - easier to administer, and at least as fast depending on what machine you are running it on. I even had it going on a dying Powerbook for a while.

====

Part 2 - did you mean having Macs mount up the PC server? -0 that's easy - if you are running NT - have the NT administrator simply turn on the Services for Mac (or AppleTalk) - it's a built-in protocol that they simply have to activate - similar to NetBEUI, or TCP/IP / Novell.. If they are not using NT, and you are on 98 or 95, etc.. then you will likely need software like DAVE from Thursby - this will allow you to browse and mount volumes just like a PC - it's not emulation - simply a NetBIOS protocol installed on your machines. It's a bit pricey on a per client machine basis. I have this running too and it's fine
====
Part 3 - you could always install Virtual PC and do it that way ;-) -

check out http://www.macwindows.com for more info on how to work out connectivity

Hope this helps

Chris

magician
03-14-2001, 12:19 AM
nice job, chris.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

detroitsuperfly
03-14-2001, 07:27 PM
Yes, thank you. You hit the nail right on the head!!!