PDA

View Full Version : Help with SCSI

sDAVIS
02-21-2001, 04:52 PM
Help, I am setting up a Final Cut Pro/After Effects workstation (G4) at home to do freelance work. I need storage space for my media. I also am on a budget but dont want to buy garbage. I need 36G of storage and I need it to be as fast as possible. I am thinking: Seagate 18G drives (two), Ultra2 LVd, and striping the drives together. Is this the best option? Also do I need a PCI card? If so which one? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Dogstarman
02-21-2001, 05:05 PM
Fastest in a G4 (G4 system or G4 upgrade?) is a 2 part answer. If it is a factory G4, get the ATTO Ultra160 card and some Seagate Cheetah X15's. Much faster in that system than an Ultra2 setup. But if it is a G4-upgraded system, then it gets a little trickier. The Ultra2 setup is best for Vintage (non-G-series) Macs. Factory G-series machine will run faster with an Ultra160 array than an Ultra2. I think. Unless someone can correct me on that, I believe that is the breakdown.

Yes, either way you will need a PCI card to interface the drives. A striped (RAID-0) array is the fastest. But it offers no redundancy. Some would say that each drive you have in the array is that many times the problems you are asking for.

i.e.- A 4-drive RAID-0 is 4 drives, each with their own likelihood of failure. So you (kinda) have 4 times the potential for drive failure and data loss. I have been running RAID-0's for a few years, and installing them for about 2. The only trouble I have had to date is one with my setup. It was brought on by a flaky (dying) G3 upgrade that corrupted everything on the drives.

You asked for advice on the fastest, so there it is.

MacMikester
02-21-2001, 10:07 PM
Hey sD,

As fast as possible in a factory G4: (2) Seagate x15 drives on a dual channel ATTO UL3D card, one drive per channel, striped (RAID 0), Granite Digital cabling w/terminator.

As fast as possible in a pre-B&W G3, upgraded to G4 (or not): same drives on one or two Miles2 card(s). Two cards really applies to a six slot machine; one card is enough on a 3-slotter.

Regards

crazyeights
02-22-2001, 03:17 AM
sD, what kind of Mac are you talking about? How much RAM, and what OS are you running? If upgraded processor, what and who's is it. Any other cards populating your PCI slots?

I'm with DSM and MM, a pair of Seagate 18GB 15k RPM drives on a ATTO dual channel card would be the fastest if your machine is a "New World" mac, but the afore mentioned info would make for a better understanding of the best solution for your situation. That way we can put to rest any other speed/performance issues with your machine.

c8

Dogstarman
02-22-2001, 02:01 PM
We should meander over to the "bang for buck on storage" thread started by sD with a little more focus and guidelines.

magician
02-22-2001, 05:59 PM
you guys are doing great. I do want to gently reiterate that it is not helpful for members to post the same stuff in duplicate forums. Believe me: we all see new posts, and double posting will not get you twice the advice.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dogstarman
02-22-2001, 08:30 PM
Do I hear that familiar "lock" being clamped onto the end of this thread?

Louie
02-22-2001, 09:06 PM
Been thinking on it. He gave me the key.