PDA

View Full Version : Plextor PX-40TSi/PowerMac 9600/OS 8.1

SonicConcepts
02-09-2001, 07:16 PM
I have a Power Mac 9600 with a 300mhz 604e processor. I am running system 8.1 and just installed an internal Plextor PX-40TSi CD Rom drive. I have tried to use CD Rom Tool Kit 3.0.2 (with a downloaded Plextor driver) and then CD Rom Speed Tools 4.0. In both cases I was able to access data CDs but when I put audio CDs in the computer crashed. The settings on the CD-Rom drive are: SCSI ID #2 (it is not duplicated with another device), termination off (since it is not the last device in the chain), and parity on. The audio cable is connected. I also have a Yamaha CRW8424S CD-Rewritable drive. What's wrong? Help!

MacMikester
02-09-2001, 07:32 PM
Try SCSI ID3, its the traditional CDROM address. Maybe some system audio component needs this to auto switch sound source to CD. Have you manually set source to CD before inserting audio CD?

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Louie
02-09-2001, 07:44 PM
Are you switching the sound source to CD in the Monitors and Sound Control Panel.

PENDRAGON18
02-09-2001, 08:48 PM
I would check the rest of the SCSI bus for issues. Also - you may want different drivers. I like INTECH - if you are using FWB - I feel sorry for you. Are you using the Apple drivers?

With 8.6 and Intech (or maybe even 8.1?) you can use digital audio - that is you can get the digital cd-audio data off the SCSI bus - so your CPU (or is is something else) is the new D/A converter.

I was having issues with my INTECH 4.1/MACOS 8.6 and reading burnt MP3 files - it would studder - or 'lockup' the SoundJam 1.6 MP3 player for a second every few seconds. Not as frustraiting as a crash, but annoying none the less. They are only about $20 ($40?) for the CD drivers, you get lifetime upgrades and they have a free two week trial. Anybody know if they are going to release drivers for X?

Louie
02-09-2001, 09:06 PM
I don't remember anymore about OS 8.1, but there are several Apple CD-related drivers that must be active in addition to your CD driver.

Intech's digital audio only works with their version 5.5 or 5.6 and you must be using at least OS 8.6.

Nothing wrong with FWB 3.02 if you're using OS 8.1.

Is your audio cable connected?

What's driving the burner? I can't remember if FWB can drive two devices or not. Intech's will.

magician
02-09-2001, 11:10 PM
absolutely download the updated version of Intech SpeedTools. If you are still running version 4, that could explain a lot.

you will not be able to reliably run a 40x Plextor with CDT3.02. It is too old. Intech CD/DVD SpeedTools 5.6 or later handles it just fine. You may also want to consider using digital audio, in the event you have a problem with your audio cable. You should be running OS8.6 or higher, I believe, for this to work.

Louie is absolutely correct about the other files. There is a complete list of them, installed automatically by MacOS, elsewhere in the forums. They may have been archived by now. Not sure. Just do some searches. You'll find them if you need them.

finally, don't forget to nuke your preferences in your CD audio application. It could be that simple.

zennman
02-12-2001, 02:10 PM
I noticed that with CD speedtools 5.6, audio cds would not mount if extention Internet Config was not loaded. Fished around looking at File Exchange Control Panel to figure out what was missing. Once I loaded internet config it worked great.

Louie
02-12-2001, 05:07 PM
That's intersting.