PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft programs for Mac

mjn111
01-27-2001, 02:09 PM
I am switching from PC to Mac. Can I continue to use Office 2000 on the Mac? Is there a way of using my PhotoSuite program as well?

Louie
01-27-2001, 02:31 PM
Only by using an emulator or switching to a Mac version of the software. There is a Mac version of Office 2000; not sure about PhotoSuite.

magician
01-28-2001, 12:17 AM
I'd use Graphic Converter and be done with it. The best $30 I ever spent.

PENDRAGON18
01-28-2001, 12:33 AM
Graphic Converter ROCKS! Its not as good a PShop for everything, but for everything I do it is just as good.

A friend of mine just convinced his company to get him a Mac. He was a macuser, but they though Windows would be more efficient. He does everything from DTP to installing and upgrading Textronix/Xerox/etc.. printers and stuff. Now he has a G4/500 DP system with 1/2GIG o RAM and 40GB HD! Its nice!-)

He could converter files from Windows Office to Mac Office 2001 easy - Mac Office '98 is pretty good to and should also be cross compatible, but Office 4.2.1 ('95) sucks big time. I would stay away from MS apps if possible - there is so much more out there that is better -
Word Perfect 3.5e,
BBedit,
iCab,
Simple Text!

Word 5.x and Excel 4.0 were great. Pitty M$ has fallen so far since then. Ok thats my M$ rant.

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!

the_anarch
01-28-2001, 12:34 AM
Hey mjn, just wanted to give my congratulations for making the switch. You'll be happy you did. Have you already got your Mac, and if so, which model?

http://www.triozon.net/anarch.gif

Louie
01-28-2001, 12:50 AM
There's also MacLink Plus that converts almost everything and comes up with the same styles, fonts, bullets, etc.

Michael
01-28-2001, 11:23 PM
thereis a mac version of photosuite. as far as avoiding MS products, that's OK if you never have to interface with the rest of the business world. if you do, MS office is almost a worldwide standard. (as much as i loathe MS's hegemony, i do have to admit, without them we'd probably have 25 OS's none compatible with the other) theer should be absolutely no problem in principle, transferring docs between platforms in programs like MS office, photoshop, illustrator etc.
M

mjn111
01-29-2001, 03:12 PM
Hey you all!

Thanks for the useful advice, I am impressed with the interest and assistance.

I think I can make the leap now...................... http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------

schalliol
02-01-2001, 02:44 AM
I would contact MS directly. Many companies offer "cross-grades". Since Office is available on both platforms, you would think this is possible. If not, you could probably sell your windows Office (and buy a car, whew it's expensive) and get Office 2001

crazyeights
02-01-2001, 02:30 PM
Just my 2....... I refused to use MS products for a long time. Then, just out of curiosity, I downloaded IE 5.0 for mac.

I have to admit, it is a far better product than Nutscrape. In a 2 hour web session, I would have to quit NS 2 or 3 times and restart because it would flake out.........like it didn't know who or what it was.....

When I went to IE 5.0, this problem vanished. Outlook express has worked really well for me too, other than a horrific bug I stumbled upon while moving folders around.......vaporized my mail, and it was GONE without a trace.

After pounding on IE 5.0, I figured they must have gotten some real Mac freak programmers at MS.

I use NS occasionally for downloads of MPEG's (fast cars and stuff), but not very often. IE 5.0 seemed to run MUCH faster than earlier versions, nicer interface, and rarely coughs, as long as I quit out of it and relaunch once a day.

c8

magician
02-01-2001, 04:47 PM
dave, I think you nailed the secret to using Exploder: quit and relaunch at least once a day (for those of us who never shut-down our Macs). If you do that, and are careful with MRJ and java sites, it rarely, rarely crashes. When it does crash, it is relatively well-mannered, and a quick ES in MacsBug puts you right back on the desktop where you can quit everything else in an orderly fashion.

the guy who wrote Emailer is one of the primary programmers behind Outlook and I presume Entourage. I hated to leave Emailer. I considered all the various email clients available, and then finally settled on Microsoft, both because Outlook can be configured to behave pretty similarly to Emailer, and because you have to be able to assume that Microsoft will continue to release updates and support the product for a long, long time. The price was also right, but believe me, if someone came out with an updated and improved version of Emailer for $100 a seat, I'd buy it. Money wasn't the deciding issue. Interface, reliability, future compatibility, and feature set were what mattered.

I, too, was a Microsoft hater for a long time. I got over it. We run this business on IE and OE, and that's a pretty strong endorsement. Others will have other experiences and opinions, but these are mine.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Michael
02-02-2001, 11:09 PM
actually, i have to agree on IE. and the new MS office 2001 is superior to the windows version, hands down. interesting about netscape. mine almost never crashes and i'll be on the internet for hours. but it does have this perculiar habit of periodically becoming paralyzed like it's lost its way and can't remember what it is supposed to be doing. it just stops downloading. i don't know why. though i do believe it may have something to do with java. the solution is to quit the program and start anew session.
odd.
M

MacMikester
02-03-2001, 10:25 AM
I too joined the IE 5 bandwagon about eight months ago and never looked back to just how far behind Navigator was trudging along. I played around with both for several months and simply put, IE 5 won out over Netscape. I don't use a lot of the different superfluous features in IE 5 but some things just make sense---like an accessible history that remains intact over several different window sets, in case you want to go back to somewhere you have been in a set of windows you have already closed. $0.02

They will probably pry Emailer out of my cold dead hands, but if it sould break sometime in the future, it will be a smooth migration to Outlook Express.

Hoowaah!

magician
02-04-2001, 02:50 AM
the only other problem I have with IE is probably not an IE problem. Sometimes, when there is significant lag in page loading, the app just waits....and it almost seems as if the app has crashed. The mouse cursor will move, but you can't select another app, or indow, or anything.

I eventually learned to just sigh, get up, go get a cup of coffee or something, and give it a couple of minutes. Given enough time, the app invariably gets what it was waiting for, or finally generates an error message, and then things return to normal. I can't imagine how many times I dropped into MacsBug to kill the app when I could have just waited a couple of minutes. This is very much caused by websites, and I think it is also an OT problem. But it manifests in IE5xx, and that's why I mention it.

I really like the tabs on the side of the window, and use both the favorites and scrapbook tabs extensively. I use IE5xx with two windows open side-by-side, and drag and drop links between the two pages. It's a great Mac app. Coming from Microsoft, that's miraculous. But they have obviously put a lot of work into their Mac division in the past couple of years. I used to be a Nutscrape Nazi. No longer. They lost their way. Unfortunately. I still use it, on occasion, but rarely.

Louie
02-04-2001, 12:54 PM
I think what Magian describes is caused by the site to which you are connected.
With Netscape, about the only site that I hit that does that way is Seagate's.

I've stayed with Netscape because that's all I've ever used and I like it and understand it. I used 4.76 which does pretty well.

After MS went after Netscape to break them and succeeded, and now, after AOL bought them, there is probably no hope for the longterm. AOL will probably ruin them completely and make more money doing it.

geotime
02-04-2001, 07:05 PM
My hope is that the Mozilla/Netscape arrangement will result in another split a la Mosaic/Netscape ("...said Californie is the place y'oughta be..."). I still use NS, mostly because of long familiarity and lingering resentment over M$'s usurpation of the market. After much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, I have 4.76 running as stable as any browser I've ever had. Performance seems to be the bottom line hereabouts, and it works for me.

An open source browser that fully implements the standards involved (HTML, CSS, Java/EcmaScript, XML, etc), and runs stably on the major platforms is what we all really require, I think. Though IE5.x beats out NS4.x standards-wise, Netscape 6 theoretically has the best support for standards. From what I've read in forums, though, it's an absolute nightmare on macs. I have it running on an NT at work, and it does fine (considering that many webpages aren't written for full implementation of all the standards). But close to the top of my wish list (just under a dual G4 w/4 PCIs) is a standards compliant, stable Mozilla browser, sans AOL.
Just another $0.02

Louie
02-04-2001, 07:32 PM
I'm with you, geotime! NS (Mozilla) 6 for Mac looks like AOL.

Big Al
02-04-2001, 11:05 PM
Earlier this year I moved my sister (Mac user) from AOL to a real ISP and put their house on Netscape 4.7. They are much happier. I hope Netscape and AOL remain separate products. FYI, my companied internal database (systems integrator and computer consulting) shows a number of problems with Netscape 6 which sound similar to normal first release woes except for some problems going back to 4.7.

crazyeights
02-06-2001, 02:20 AM
Mag, I'm not sure if it's just that your gracious or I'm stingy.......whether IE misbehaves or not, I started quiting and re-starting IE5 after reading your comments about it on the forum......so.....credit goes to you.

I too have noticed the "prolonged wait state" in IE5. My 2 is an amalgam of yours and louie's together. I think it's a quirk in the software....ahh, what the heck, call it a bug. My theory is.....when accessing a web site that's is approaching it's transaction/bandwidth limit, IE maintains the site connection while waiting for it's turn for packets, but MS hasn't given the IE enduser the ability to initiate another "command" when they get tired of waiting for site access. IE seems to run Java with a lot less "fanfare" visible to the user, but I wouldn't be surprised if this issue is a Java issue.

You run a meager 15x more memory than I, and have a few other more horsies under the hood, so you can get your machine back. I have to dump IE sometimes (the longer it's been running, the more likely I'll have to dump it) if I want my Mac back.

I haven't used MacsBug for so long, I don't even remember how to use it.

Where might I find "Macsbug for idiots" guidance?

c8

magician
02-06-2001, 05:25 AM
dave, pretty sure we have both MacsBug and some docs in the Apple directory on the FTP site. If there isn't a PDF or two there, let me know. I can upload them in a flash.

no need for you to be killing an app the hard way.

chatwood2
02-06-2001, 09:40 PM
I do use IE5, and find it to be superior to IE4.7 in many ways (web archive now has a much better implementation now). But I have to say that I don't use IE5 for my normal websurfing, I use iCab http://www.icab.de I find to be a very nice browser: it is quick, good with http downloads, small, looks good, and it behaves its self. I do have a few problems with it though: it does not support cascading stylesheets yet, is poor with ftp downloads, and has problems with some secure sites. Most of these issues will be resolved with upcoming releases of the browser though.

iCab has lot of features that IE is missing, it supports:
- images filtering by size (removes banner ads)
- great cookie acceptance/rejection
- amazing http download tool
- keystrokes to switch active window
- builtin email client
- "prefetch" which loads links of current pages while the program is idle

iCab is currently free (although the final release version might cost money) and it is only a 2 MB download so I suggest to all of you that you try it out.

- Chris

[This message has been edited by chatwood2 (edited 06 February 2001).]

magician
02-06-2001, 11:25 PM
I have used iCab on occasion, and found it surprisingly decent. I think Jorge uses it full-time.

crazyeights
02-07-2001, 02:33 AM
thanks mag, I'll check it out.

Found it, but 6.6.3 is in doc format, so I downloaded 6.6.1bin-hex and it shows up as generic doc on the desktop.

Just drop it into the Sys Folder and restart? How do I use it to interupt an Application?

D

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 07 February 2001).]

Louie
02-07-2001, 02:27 PM
You must use 6.6.3 for OS 9.1. There are two files marked as such on the FTP site. If they are porked, let me know and I'll upload a fresh one. It used to be on Apple's Developers' page along with a huge tutorial.

magician
02-07-2001, 04:55 PM
pass it thru StuffIt Expander or StuffIt Deluxe. That should take care of it. You have to set Interarchy to post-process files for it to decode and unstuff them.

crazyeights
02-09-2001, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys....Louie, I'm at OS 9.0.4...should I use the next version down from 6.6.3?

I must confess, I've never used Interarchy. My IE5 is configged to just rip bin-hex files down from ftp and convert them in Suffit Expander. The 6.6.3 is in Doc format, and the others seem to be in Bin-Hex. Also consider, I may not have a clue as to what I'm talking about.

I have downloaded pertinent file from guru's ftp before and used them no prob, but every once in a while I'll run accross one that instead of dloading opens as a document and splashes raw ascii/code accross the screen.

Now I'll go look up brevity in the dictionary......

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 09 February 2001).]

PENDRAGON18
02-09-2001, 09:39 PM
Wow - so much has happened to this thread since I was hear last.

I do like The NutScrape. I think I'm running 4.76 - it isnt the cutting edge leader like it was... ages ago, but it works. It has never crashed my Mac - that I can remember and its fairly fast. Netscape did not lose their way - it was killed by MS and vaporized by AOL. Maybe the sequel to Nutscrape 4.7 is Nutscrape 6: Big, Bloated and ready to crash your system and hoze your network? http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif No.. MS is not an anti-competitive monopoly, not at all!

I remember Word 5.x - it was great. I ever remember checking out Word 3 vs. MacWrite. Both were good, but Word 3 was just a little better - maybe even more Mac like. I guess Apple should have been more worried that MS finally figured out how to make a GUI. Luckly MS is still working on it! The business word really should not be soo keen on Word- they are freak'n idiots. I was talking to a headhunter. I make my resume's in HTML and text - you know STANDARDS, but all the damn recruiters wants a flashy WORD file. Maybe I should put a Macro Virus in my RESUME? Maybe I could get a security job that way?-) I know its important to have simple easy to use software that is compatible with everything - hey ASCII, simpleTEXT! BBedit! NotePad! WordPad! O'well - I can always dream.

I did not like IE 5 when I first ran it. IE has some nice features and 5 has a cool GUI (2x better than NS 6 and 4x the speed), but it was slow ... until I installed a 10K cheetah drive on my B&WG3/300. Not sure if I should be happy about the speed of the cheetah or depressed that IE 5 NEEDs one to run acceptibly? IE 4.5 is just as good IMHO, but you can not save the font size - although they do give you an easy to use Font Size adjuster button. Yet the bastards took in out of IE 5 - its probably hidden somewhere. OE 4.5 is great, but for some odd reason does not have an option for outgoing mail authenticaion - NS 4.7 has this but will not remember the password. The main thing that annoys me is that some version of IE 4.5 are not Y2K secure - that is the bastards did not renew the secuirty certificates in time. I think their is an update, but its kinda a pain. I suppose a NEW G4 (or even an old one) should run IE 5 fine.

OE 5.x sucks http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/mad.gif I does not do anything that 4.5 can do and they :corssbones: the menu layout. It looks like a freaq'n Winblows app! http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif They also hid ALL the files - not so easy to move things around and I really have not bother with it much. Just goes to show that once MS gets something good the F**** up.

I was suprised it took so long for someone to mention iCab. I would probably us it more often if the damn beta copy did not keep expiring. I think I tried 1.9 last. It work, it renders HTML CORRECTLY and even shows where there are possible issues with the HTML coding. I wouldnt mind paying $20 or $30 for that app. I hope they get a copy for X. I here there is another browser - open source and they do not seem to have a clue about the Mac.... I think its called OPERA.

I guess thats a bit OFF T....

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!

crazyeights
02-09-2001, 10:02 PM
UPDATE: Hey, what do you know...Interarchy rocks!! I'll try installing macsbug again. From all that is contained in the 6.6.3 readme, the only thing usable to me is Macsbug itself.

Hell, I'll even read the documentation to save you guys more trouble.

Louie
02-09-2001, 11:25 PM
Did you get MacsBug squared away or do you want me to mail it to you? It's less than a MB.

I think 6.6.3 works with 9.04; it's been out since Fall. It MUST be used with 9.1.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 09 February 2001).]

crazyeights
02-10-2001, 01:49 AM
Yep, thanks Louie!!!!