PDA

View Full Version : New HD for 7300

selist
02-08-2001, 09:48 PM
I have a 7300 that I've been using for several years and I am out of hard drive space. I want to get another internal drive, but I don't know what to get. I don't need a ton of space or superfast speed. What do you suggest? Do I need anything extra in order to install the drive? Thanks for the help.

tm311
02-08-2001, 10:34 PM
....but I don't know what to get. I don't need a ton of space or superfast speed. What do you suggest?

HUHHHHHHHHHH??? of course you need a ton of space and LOADS of speed!!!! what are you thinking man!!!!

Dogstarman
02-08-2001, 11:14 PM
Well, the first step towards recovery is admittance of a need/addiction. Unfortunately, we must harness the raw feelings within our friend and let him know that with absolutely no extra hardware, a Seagate Barracuda can be bought right from this site and it will plug in (provided there is an available connector on his SCSI cable) and work. Of course, there is the minor issue of SCSI ID's, which we will be more than glad to step you through. Look within this page for drive model number ST39216N :
http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?mg_hdseagates.html

This is a Narrow interface (50 pin connection) with 9 Gigabytes of storage that will beat the pants off of what you have internally now. It can be installed in addition to your current drive provided you have an internal bay free (open your case and look) and a free internal SCSI connector on your cable (again....look inside). Just make sure your machine is off (not unplugged) and before you touch any internal stuff, you touch the power supply bare metal to equalize static. Do this often, and do it ritualistically.

Like I said, most of us can give you pointers in a pretty detailed manner when the time comes.

Louie
02-08-2001, 11:27 PM
The reality of it all is that nobody makes a drive smaller than 9GB and slower than 20 MB/sec. You will love going faster!

professor
02-09-2001, 12:24 AM
it's called the speed disease. it goes ino remission occasionally, but it cannot be cured.

ChrisYip
02-09-2001, 12:34 AM
I have a couple of 7300's and it's an easy bolt it onto the end of the existing hard drive cable task.

Pop the lid on that machine and you should find an open bay under your existing drive. You can get a drive sled to bolt the new drive to from the Guru's page
(http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/obj_show_page.cgi?mgscsibezelsandsleds.html)

I think the existing cable has a spare connector on it for a second hard drive and there should be a Molex power cable there as well.

What I've done is install a Miles2 card and a couple of LVD Cudas there and bypassed the stock SCSI circuitry. You just have to modify the drive bay a bit to route the cables. An easy two minute job with a big screwdriver.

let us know if you need more info

Chris