PDA

View Full Version : HDST guidance

Cooker
01-29-2001, 04:48 PM
I recently lost one of my ata drives by some mishap using Disk Warrior. I re-did my sys on another ata drive. Since then I was able to recover my lost drive with Hard Disk Speed Tools, using the takeover function. I didn't lose any data but it took a really long time (11 hours). Now I have two 40 gig ata drives ... both partitioned and bootable. I also have a SCSI striped volume with 2 cheetahs on an ATTO UL3D. Everything is working great ( thank to help from the gurus ) I would now like to put the HDST drivers on my other ata drive. Tell me if this plan sounds right. I have back up both partitions from the drive in mention to my raid volume. Do I now just re-initialize and partition the drive with HDST and then put all my backed up data back onto it or am I missing something. Thanks for you continued help
John

jorge
01-29-2001, 05:08 PM
you have the routine correct, backup, initialize, and restore software and files.

j

Louie
01-29-2001, 05:33 PM
You've got it. After the two copies, check all your alias at all levels and be sure that apps such as Netscape and others are pointing to the proper preferences. Sometimes these things lose their way after copying. Especially check your mail and newsgroup preferences in Netscape if you use it.

Cooker
01-29-2001, 06:22 PM
Thanks alot guys,
I guess I'll go for it. I think I'm becoming addicted to fine tuning my MAC. I seem to spend more time on that lately then actually doing any video or graphics work. Of course having you guys to help is definitely a boost to my confidence.
I really appreciate all the expert help... (by the way, I use Internet Explorer, not Netscape, if that makes any difference. )

Thanks again
Cooker

Cooker
01-30-2001, 12:02 PM
Well I did it, and for the most part it went well. I had a lot of rebuilding aliases, but I can't for the life of me fiqure out how to get my Outlook Express back to normal. It opened like it was the first time. It there a way I can get all my info back, like mail, addresses, etc. I looked everywhere ( almost )

Thanks again
Cooker

Louie
01-30-2001, 12:17 PM
Sorry; I use Netscape. Surely someone has guidance, Do a search of forums and archives; I seem to remember that situation from earlier.

magician
01-30-2001, 12:48 PM
yeah....we encountered and resolved that problem here on the forums previously. Just do some searches. You should be able to find it.

if memory serves, it merely involved moving the database from the documents folder, something like that.

kaye
01-30-2001, 04:14 PM
Inside my Outlook Express 4.5 Folder is another folder called "OE User(s)". Inside that folder is another folder called "Main User" which has the guts of what you are missing, such as mail, news, contacts, and prefs. k

Cooker
01-30-2001, 11:45 PM
Thanks guys,

There it was in the good ole "users folder" . I'm back in business. Now I can try to sleep tonight.

Cooker