PDA

View Full Version : powerbase 240 complete upgrade

Jim Morrison
01-28-2001, 09:24 AM
I have a powerbase 240 minitower that I would like to upgrade as much as possible. I already have 160 MB ram installed, but have done nothing else. My cd-rom drive is shot. Any suggestions on the best G3 card, dvd-rom drive (internal), and anything else you would do? I'm currently running OS8.6. Thanks for your help!

Louie
01-28-2001, 01:55 PM
Jim:

I've upgraded lots of Power CC machines but never a Power Base. We don't hear from many Power Base owners. The Alchemy-based architecture was designed to give high CPU speed (high for the time) at a low cost and it has several limitations that you should be aware of before you spend a lot of money uograding it.

You are already maxed out on RAM. The audio system is limited. The system bus speed is a slow 40 MHz. I also seem to remember video card problems after the machine were upgraded to G3. I also seem to remember that the PCI slots would only take short cards.

There were one of more G3 upgrades for that machine; Newer and Sonnet I think. The upgrade went into the L2 cache slot. Newer is now out of business. Check Sonnet's site; not sure if that card is still sold or not.

Others here may have more info.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 28 January 2001).]

magician
01-28-2001, 01:56 PM
hi....

you can use a CarrierMPe to install an XLR8 G3Z into that machine, or a Sonnet cache-slot upgrade....and guess what? We just got a shipment of DVD-RAM in, and will be posting those for sale on the main site within the next 48hrs.

a fast storage subsystem will help, big-time, and you can also install a PlexWriter burner and a Radeon PCI video card (those are expected this week, as well).

this should get the wheels turning.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Louie
01-28-2001, 02:01 PM
Being able to use the XLR8 G3 would be a big plus. I was not aware of that. Also Magician is right; the IDE drive system in the PowerBase sucks. Going for a much faster Ultra SCSI solution would help tremendously.