PDA

View Full Version : Enclosure

Anthony
01-24-2001, 07:00 PM
I have a Seagate 9.1 GB Narrow Hard Drive (5.5"). Which of the Mac Guru enclosures should I use? Other than the enclosure what other items should I get? How difficult woul it be to swap the existing HD in a Power Computing Power Tower Pro 225 for this one.

Louie
01-24-2001, 08:19 PM
What is the model number of the drive (STxxxxxxxxx)? The PTP has nine drive bays. It probably would be best to mount it internally. Also tell us all the devices now used internally and externally; OS used, amount of RAM, processor, PCI cards, etc.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 24 January 2001).]

Anthony
01-25-2001, 09:56 AM
Seagate Model ST410800N/ND. PTP has internal CD, floppy, 4 GB SCSSI HD, 30 GB IDE. Externally, Zip Drive, Jazz Drive, Injet printer, 4 GB SCSSI. 224 MB of Ram. Mac OS 8.1 and 8.6. 604e processor. Graphic accelerator PCI.

Louie
01-25-2001, 01:23 PM
Anthony:

The drive model you gave is actually two different version of a series. Both are very old, fat and hot Elites. The N is a SCSI-2 narrow drive and could be used with proper cooling but is very slow. The ND is a narrow, high voltage differential drive that would be virtually impossible to use without some way-out adaptation.

See which version that you actually have. I have no experience with the HVD type drive. Someone else will surely have a comment. I personally would bother with it regardless of which version it is. Others may have a different opinion.

magician
01-25-2001, 03:21 PM
a D drive, meaning an old differential drive, will not be usable unless you get a differential host, long ago discontinued and very obsolete.

is this a full-height or half-height drive?

depending on its size and interface, it may fit in one of the 5.25-inch bays in the PTP, or in one of the MAP enclosures, probably the 5021. It must have an N interface, however, to work in either case.

Anthony
01-25-2001, 04:14 PM
It's full height.

magician
01-26-2001, 04:13 PM
a full-height 5.25-inch drive will fit into a 5.25-inch MAP5021. It will occupy the ENTIRE bay.

make certain of your interface before you order!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anthony
01-26-2001, 05:57 PM
In the realm of silly questions...what interface?

the_anarch
01-26-2001, 07:47 PM
When Magician said "interface", what he was referring to was which kind of SCSI the hard drive in question uses.

Basically, you have to figure out whether the hard drive you have is an ST410800N or an ST410800ND. If it's the former, then it uses SE (single-ended) SCSI. It would be possible for you to use it, but it'd be so large, slow and old that it probably wouldn't be worth it.

If it's the latter, then you can't just plug it straight in to your PTPro. It uses HVD (high voltage differential) SCSI, and you could potentially fry your motherboard if you plugged it straight in. It is VERY chancy that you could use an HVD converter, but these are very complicated to use, and are so expensive that it would be absolutely pointless. You could just spend that same money on a brand new hard drive.

So, the recommendation here is, if the drive you have is in fact an ST410800N, you could buy a MAP5021 Burly enclosure from here and put your drive in there, and it would work with your PTPro. The 5021 costs about $100. In contrast, you could buy a brand new Seagate Barracuda 9.1GB from here for a little more than twice that, and you could put it inside your PTPro and save desktop space.

If you actually have the ST410800ND, then it'd be better to pursue a differential hard drive solution.

Hope this helps,

http://www.triozon.net/anarch.gif

Anthony
01-26-2001, 11:57 PM
It's theST410800N fast SCSSI. If I purchase the MAP5021 Burly enclosure does it come with everything I need to install the drive? I only paid $50 for the drive. My intention now is to use it as additional backup.

magician
01-27-2001, 05:53 AM
yes.

you will, of course, need an external terminator and an external cable. But everything you need to install into the enclosure is included.