PDA

View Full Version : Newer G4 400 in my PowerTower Pro

mikefair
01-26-2001, 01:38 PM
Hey, I just put a Newer G4 400 board in my PowerTower Pro 225 box and aside from not liking a couple of my RAM chips it works fine. But what kind of performance should I expect? I ran MacBench on it and my CPU speed compared to a G3 300 was 28% faster and my FPU was 48% faster. I know my slow bus speed (44) has something to do with it, but am I wrong to expect a little more than these results from a G4 upgrade?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks,

m

magician
01-26-2001, 04:07 PM
depending on how you are benchmarking it, yes. Remember that a G4 and a G3 will deliver very similar performance. The only place you will note superior performance is in AltiVec-enhanced applications--and neither MacOS or QuickTime are yet native AltiVec.

be advised that you will encounter problems using the lower three PCI slots. It's a G4 thing.

mikefair
01-26-2001, 05:17 PM
Thanks, any other recommendations for benchmarking? I'm using MacBench 5.0 and I'm getting some strange results in the System Information window. It gives me underlined question marks for the results of processor speed, bus speed, cache speed and zero for level 2 cache which I know to be 1 Meg. It seemes odd that the program wouldn't be able to tell me this info. I'm using sys. 8.6.

Thanks,

m

Louie
01-26-2001, 05:31 PM
Do you have any software that says that the backside cache is running and at what speed. GaugePRO is on our FTP site.

mikefair
01-26-2001, 05:38 PM
Thanks, downloaded GaugePro and it sees all. 400/200 and 44.5 bus.

Is there any way to tweak the speed on a Newer G4 like you can on the XLR8s? and is bus speed a fixed thing or can it be upgraded?

m

Louie
01-26-2001, 08:37 PM
I haven't owner a Newer card for a long time, but to my knowledge, they are very untweekable. Some others here may know for sure.

kaye
01-26-2001, 08:43 PM
There may be somebody out there who has hacked a Newer card to higher speed but I have not tried it, and right now I have two machines with Newer G3 cards. k

mikefair
01-27-2001, 12:25 AM
Thanks guys, I haven't noticed giant leaps in speed even over my old 225 but I haven't really put it to the test yet. I'll be postscripting some Quark documents loaded with high rez images soon so that should be where I notice the gain. I really appreciate your responses, from reading other threads in these forums I can tell you all are on top of everything Mac. Thanks for being there, er here, wherever.

m

magician
01-27-2001, 05:51 AM
there are no documented tweaks for NewerTech G4's that I am aware of, though it would be a good idea to search Accelerate Your Mac.

remember, a G4 is a 9x chipset, so there's no easy way to force a 50MHz logic board bus speed with a 400Mhz processor.