PDA

View Full Version : IBM Deskstar 75 GXP hard drive in beige g3

jbehlke
01-17-2001, 04:45 PM
I purchased a 46gb IBM Deskstar 75 GXP hard drive for my 233mhz powermac beige g3 desktop computer. This computer has a rev 1 rom, so I must replace the old ide hard drive with the new drive. Problem is, after I bought the drive I read that other people with rev 1 g3's like mine are having trouble with this drive-- you can shut down and start up, but if you try restarting you get a flashing question mark. I am not sure if everyone with my configuration has this problem, or only a few people. I have not opened up my drive packaging yet, and I am debating whether I should return it. Has anyone got this IBM drive to work on their rev 1 g3? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Louie
01-17-2001, 05:01 PM
Most of us use SCSI drives. Probably your best bet is to search Mike Breeden's Drive Compatibility data base at http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso .

magician
01-17-2001, 08:04 PM
I haven't encountered that problem in a rev A, so I assume that you merely need to do the usual stuff correctly. Remember, it is always possible that people posting reports like that may not have their drives correctly configured, or may not be using compatible disk drivers, that sort of thing.

I would go ahead and install the new drive. One way to do it, in your case, would be to disconnect the ATA CD-ROM and just use that bus to initialize that drive as an IDE Master, and do all your testing and data transfer from the original drive that way. Just an idea.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Demian Cain
01-26-2001, 11:19 PM
Ditto what Mag said.

Also, after upgrading HDs, I too have encountered the flashing question mark for a good 6-7+ seconds, only to then get the smiling mac. In my case it just seemed to take a while for the machine to accomodate to its new part, and it was smooth sailing thereafter. However, my deskstar was a 30 gig, 5400 rpm model (came in a new g4) that I put into a biege g3/233, rev a.