PDA

View Full Version : virtual pc/quickbooks issues

jedness
01-24-2001, 06:54 PM
i was wondering if anyone had any info about setting up a network of macs and using virtual pc software on the macs over the network. i am relatively green when it comes to LAN's and macs in general. we are moving our office and expanding as well as switching all our pc's to macs. we have all our books on quickbooks software and there isn't a comparable version of quickbooks for mac so we were told to acquire virtual pc to run quickbooks. i was wondering how that would perform on the network. any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
jt

Louie
01-24-2001, 08:26 PM
Setting up an all Mac LAN will be much easier than a all PeeCee or mixed LAN. Will they all be new machines with 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet? There are others that will see this and be more knowledgeable about emulators and QuickBooks. Will all machines need access to QuickBooks?

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 24 January 2001).]

jedness
01-24-2001, 11:51 PM
the answer to both of your questions is probably yes. there will be an imac 333 and a G4 that will both need access to quickbooks. there may also be a powerbook, ibook or possible pc laptop that may need to patch in as well. all will need to access quickbooks. i was just told this evening that it might be a good idea to get a third (or fourth if you count the laptop) machine to use as a server. like i said earlier, i am a bit inexperienced with networking, so i am a little "slow". but, any more suggestions from anyone who has any ideas would be great. thanks for your reply.
jt

magician
01-25-2001, 03:37 PM
a server is always a good idea, if you need to share data among several workstations, or need to archive data in one spot so it it easily backed up. I can't speak for running QuickBooks in network mode off a Mac server, however....do you guys have a consultant assisting you with your transition? If not, you should really get one. One thing to consider might be transitioning from QuickBooks to a Mac application like MYOB AccountEdge (http://www.myob.com/us/products/accountedge/), importing your financial records across. While we don't use a commercial package like this ourselves (we built one custom), it is definitely worth investigating, and there is a referral system in place for certified consultants, which would be a good idea in a case like this.

jorge
01-25-2001, 04:17 PM
I agree with Magician. Virtual PC is great and Quickbooks will run ok on it. Wouldn't base my company on it. Accounting edge might be the way to go. Call them, get a full functioning 30 day demo and setup a station to test the software. Convert a COPY and see if your company likes it. Quickbooks is a pain in the butt. Can't archive any info. Have the company file which is 150 Mb accessed by 5 users. Totally chokes my company's fibre backbone here. Everyone almost stops when a report in Quickbooks is generated.

j

Louie
01-25-2001, 04:40 PM
The latest MacWorld ( 03/01) has a review of MYOB.

jedness
01-25-2001, 07:07 PM
wow. thanks for the information. i will pass it on and get back to you if there are any other concerns. your assistance is greatly appreciated.
jt