PDA

View Full Version : TERABYTES of custom storage & DVD STREAMING!

schalliol
01-22-2001, 12:00 AM
I didn't know where to post this, so I thought I'd post it here.

Ok, we now have SuperDrives (well, soon). So we can burn DVDs. Well, let's put that in to the 200 disc DVD Changer by Escient. 3TB of storage, whoa!!! Also, it's got FireWire too!

And here's the very best part . . . you can stream DVD videos across the network. What could be better you ask????

YOU CAN ONLY STREAM VIDEOS ACROSS A MACINTOSH NETWORK!!!!!!

Look at this quote:

"Can I view streaming video, such as a DVD movie, across a Macintosh network?
The PowerFile C200 allows you to share a Changers' drives over a network, allowing client systems on your network to mount those drives as if they were local to that system.

The PowerFile C200 Macintosh software shares the Changer data via the IP protocol. While this means that you can theoretically share streaming DVD data, you would need extremely large network bandwidth to accomplish this.

Can I view streaming video, such as a DVD movie, across a PC network?
No, PC network architecture prohibits streaming media from the C200 across the network."

One of these changers could do some damage to RIAA....

professor
01-22-2001, 12:59 AM
I just went to the grocery store and bought paper towels if you need one to qipe up your drool. Hurry though, I am having to wipe up my own drool at an astounding rate.

schalliol
01-22-2001, 01:05 AM
LOL! I'm glad to hear it!

PENDRAGON18
01-22-2001, 01:20 AM
you would need extremely large network bandwidth to accomplish this.

In my mind large network bandwidth is 100Mbps, so maybe they are talking 1000Mbps? Firewire is 'only' 400Mbps - maybe that is what they mean?

So where is the link?

schalliol
01-22-2001, 01:59 AM
Oops, the link is http://www.dvdchanger.com/

You should see their other companies at http://www.escient.com/ Escient Technologies is the holding company covering six companies.

schalliol
01-22-2001, 02:23 AM
Well, MPEG-2 streams have rates between 5-10 megabits per second (if you have a Sony player look at the Bit Rate Meter). This is nothing for streaming across a LAN. The real issue is data priority. If you want to send this from one end of a huge LAN to another, this might be tough get looking great. Using switches with QoS characteristics should be able to take care of this.

So, you have the MPEG-2 stream coming in, you'd just need some software or hardware to handle it.

Am I crazy, or shouldn't this be fairly simple with some bucks?