PDA

View Full Version : calling game addicts

bif
01-18-2001, 08:52 AM
Well, I gotta admit that I am having a crisis of faith. I recently allowed myself to be exposed to the world of windows gaming and, considering the flight sim genre specifically, I started to think about crossing over to the other side and getting a windows gaming machine and, wow, the possibilities were so cool. To think of being able to play great graphics intense flight sims and other games that just aren't there for the mac. [ie, Fighter Squadron, Screamin' Demons Over Europe - I've been waiting over four years for this game (the guys who made A-10 were working on it, they got bought by activision and ordered to make the PC version first, released it, ran out of money or people or what, then it resurfaced at MacPlay and now they've been bought by InterPlay and now...) and now it is vaporware ,again] - end of rant #1. Then the guilt came and my son started to shutter and told me, " no, don't do it ." He suggested VPC on our G4. "But what about the 'NVIDIA GeForce2 ULTRA w/64MB DDR TV-Out 4X AGP' card?" I said. And our debate continued, and thank goodness, I don't have the money for one of those Alienware systems anyway.
So... I respect the opinions expressed in these forums and want to put forth the proposition: could you consider a windows gaming machine so that you could have the newest games when they first come out, accelerated by the fastest cards with maximum memory (still keeping your powerbook for regular computer use) and be able to sleep at night?
Honestly, I wouldn't like doing it, but I would love playing those flight sims with all that realism. If you've got an opinnion on this, thanks. - end of rant #2. Thanks for listening. Sometimes we just need to talk.

the_anarch
01-18-2001, 10:17 AM
I guess so. I'm not a gamer, but if I was, I'd probably treat the Windows machine as an overblown gaming console, like my beloved Atari 2600. As long as it wasn't important to me to have it running Internet, applications, anything else... just games. Leave the real productivity to the Mac.

Sometimes, actually, I wish I had the resources (time, money and space) to have one workstation for each of my main tasks- graphic design, audio recording, web work, general e-mail/record keeping/finances/etc., and so on... In such a set-up, if I was a gamer, it would make sense for the gaming station to actually be Windows. But then again, the gaming station would probably have a PS2 and DreamCast as well... I wonder what that xBox is going to be like.

I wouldn't call this a crisis of faith though. A crisis of faith would be if you were starting to think that Wintel boxes were... hell I'm not even going to say it. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.triozon.net/anarch.gif

[This message has been edited by the_anarch (edited 18 January 2001).]

magician
01-18-2001, 12:48 PM
well, I think you have encountered one of the genuine weaknesses of the Mac, and that is the size of its market, and hence the relatively fewer number of games released for the platform. Considering the size of the Wintel market, even a game that bombs can ship more units and return more revenue than a game that does decently on the Mac. It's all about market size, and dollars.

Fletch brings up a good point, though. A lot of Wintel folks use their systems for one thing at a time, running Word, for example, then their email client, then they browse. They don't really do it all in a single mis-mash simultaneously, as we do on the Mac, with 15 apps open at the same time on multiple displays.

The PC is, as you have noted, a superior gaming platform than the Mac. If you get that much enjoyment out of games, and spending a grand or two on your hobby isn't out of the question, then your answer is clear.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dogstarman
01-18-2001, 01:36 PM
Huh....Mag and Anarch (Fletch...Archie...whatever) got it right. That's why I love my PS, Dreamcast and PS2. My Macs are for business and socializing (emails, forums, etc). The ossacional game is thrown in, but it is usually the caliber of Riven or the like. And I can't help but like to have Diablo II and Q3A on my machines. But I leave most of my gaming to the consoles. And flight sims are cool, but not my bag. I will say what I always say...use what you want. If a Windows machine does what makes you happy, then by all means use it. IMO, that's about all I would use those machines for anyway. But make sure to send an email to the respective companies grumbling about all your Mac friends that would love the gmes you play....