PDA

View Full Version : New PowerBook Transition

gawow
01-16-2001, 12:48 AM
HELP! I currently have a G3 300MHz PowerBook which was pre-USB thus it has a serial and SCSI ports - no USB. All my periphials are eith SCSI or serial also (Okidata laser printer, Zip drive, LaCie 4x CD writer, UMAX 12s Scanner.) I am thinking about upgrading to a G3 500 MHz PowerBook whic is strictly USB and Firewire. Does this mean that none of my Periphials can be used? Is there a way to convert them to be able to plug into the USB? None of them have Ethernet possibilities either. HELP! Thank you!

jorge
01-16-2001, 09:30 AM
The G3/500 are sold out. Can't find anymore in the channels. Unless the big catalogs have a few.

The Keyspan USB to serial adapter is quite good. Plugs into one USB port and has 2 serial connectors on them.

A few companies have announced Firwire-->SCSI adapters. Should have no problems connecting the SCSI periphials. FWDepot has a Firewire-->SCSI adapter which you can connect up to 7 SCSI devices unlike the others which are one per adapter. It also has a built in firewire hub.

j

ChrisYip
01-16-2001, 05:26 PM
I second the motion on the Keyspan TwinPort Serial adapter - I'm using one on my Lombard and it's the only one that seems to talk properly to the serial port on my temperature controller. Oh - and if you have a Palm PDA, their USB - serial adapter works great...

(I still have a SCSI port on my Lombard though) - no firewire (bummer)

Chris