PDA

View Full Version : Speed Doubler

detroitsuperfly
01-15-2001, 03:44 PM
I am under the understanding that Connectix Speed Doubler doesnt work w/ OS 9. Are there any other similar products that are equally as effective? Any potential problems w/ using speed enhancing software? I have a G4 Dual 450 and am very greedy for more speed! It just isnt the blazing monster that I expected http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Is it your belief that Dual processor machines will run much faster w/ OSX?
Thank You

Dogstarman
01-15-2001, 04:25 PM
Sorry, you are right. SpeedDoubler is no longer compatible. I think 8.6 was the last supported OS.

What were you expecting? And what did you upgrade from? And what do you run that makes you think it should be faster? Those machines are ridiculously fast. I work with several DP500's, and they amaze me all the time. As far as OSX's SMP support? Wow. Hold on. It's gonna be insanely great. Seriously, it is going to be vastly improved from OS9. The trick is to get SW folks to be savvy to it.

Are you sure the holdup isn't somewhere else? Slow drives (compared to a striped pair of X15's)? You got enough RAM? I haven't heard anyone complain that these machines aren't nearly fast enough for them.

detroitsuperfly
01-15-2001, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. I upgraded from a Rev c Imac w/ a Newer Technologies 466 processor and 190mb RAM. My Dual 450 has 256 Mb RAM. The iMac in many applications runs faster...including Photoshop 6 which is my staple software.

magician
01-15-2001, 05:12 PM
well...those little iMacs could be made into screamers.

sounds to me like you need to upgrade your storage I/O. A Cheetah X15 and a UL3S would probably work wonders.

detroitsuperfly
01-15-2001, 05:40 PM
OK, I thought I earned my geek membership card, i was wrong cause i dont know what a storage I/O is. Do you sell the Cheetah X15 and UL3s?

detroitsuperfly
01-15-2001, 05:44 PM
Nevermind, i found my answer deeper in your site. Thanks.

Dogstarman
01-15-2001, 07:36 PM
Welcome, Grasshopper. Walk softly and learn big things. You thought the iMac was a screamer...<sigh>...there is so much work to do on that Dually. You have come to the right place.

detroitsuperfly
01-15-2001, 09:47 PM
Any other speed tips for me? I just ran Spring Cleaning and got rid of extraneous crap, Shut off Virtual RAM and a couple other shut offs I learned at xlr8.com

PS. WAX ON-WAX OFF Daniel-son

Fletcherism
01-15-2001, 11:11 PM
ah-so....

Dogstarman
01-15-2001, 11:48 PM
Speed tips....get the fastest drives you can for your buck and stripe them. Run them through an ATTO UL3D. But be careful. New World Macs do not take kindly to booting off of arrays unless the software issues are resolved in the OS.

To increase your system spped, you must BE the data. Think where it travels. Find the weak links. Data is stored on the drives. It goes through cabling to a controller into the motherboard. From there, it passes into and out of RAM and onto your display. All controlled by your processor and its subsystem (caches). That is the basic path for data, excluding import/export from other sources. Figure out which is stock, and which is upgraded. Then figure out what can be had to make your tasks move even faster. Lurk around here, pop into Breeden's site, and always keep up on what technologies are out there from the brands you already know. Latest drivers can solve a ton of conflicts and boost your productivity SOO much.

Speaking of productivity, you running multiple displays? It doesn't spped your system, but it almost always makes you work more efficiently. And always ask a ton of questions and read up before spending any of your money. That should be a healthy start.

magician
01-16-2001, 12:45 AM
Cheetah X15's, even one, and an ATTO UL3S or UL3D are your next best investment, for sure.

In a dual G4, the only other thing to do is make sure that you have enough memory. The video card doesn't suck.

detroitsuperfly
01-16-2001, 01:02 AM
Thanks for your help!! Indeed you are the Mac Gurus!! Digital Dali Lamas!!

Ton
01-16-2001, 02:49 AM
I definately agree with everyone about getting fast storage. I deal with 300 MB PS files every day and sometimes as big as 600. My eyes were opened last july when getting a 4 x 9 gig 10k Cheetah/dual Miles2 raid and I conscider it just as important as a fast processor and a sh*tload of ram for this kind of work.
Go for the x15's/Atto, you won't be sorry http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/kickass.gif http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif