PDA

View Full Version : video on beige G3

jbehlke
01-12-2001, 02:24 AM
Hello:

I own an early 233 mhz "beige G3 desktop" computer; it cannot accept a second "slave" ide hard drive. I plan to buy a new computer in a year or so, but for now I am blowing my budget on a Canon digital video camera, and I would like to use my old G3 to get started with digital video. Adobe people at Macworld assured me my computer would work fine with Premiere 6.0, assuming I get a firewire card. However, I need a larger hard drive. I could replace this ide drive, or I could connect an ultra scsi drive to my Adaptec 2930u card installed in one of the pci slots. Any suggestions? If I used an ultra scsi drive with the adaptec card, would an internal drive perform any better than an external? Would an ultra scsi drive connected to the Adaptec card be faster than the internal ide? If I have installed ram and pci cards in my computer, would it be reasonable for me to think I could install an internal drive?

Thanks!

magician
01-12-2001, 12:42 PM
I think I would either seek a rev b or later ROM update (so you can support IDE slaves), or just get a larger IDE drive and replace the current drive.

PENDRAGON18
01-12-2001, 04:24 PM
If my memory is correct the 2930 is an ultra-narrow card - so it has a bandwidth of 20MB/s. You could get one or 2 18G barracudas, softRAID and may some cabling. If you only have your stock IDE/ATA drive and no internal ZIP or JAZZ drives then you should have two available bays. Your stock IDE/ATA bus is 16MB/s, so the ultraSCSI will be a bit faster. Also you can RAID the Cudas to get a bigger faster drive. 36GB starts to look small for digital video. If heat is an issue you could go with an external case - the drives will performane the same. It does not matter if they are external or internal, it just depends on the bus. If slower devices are connected to the 2930 (like fast SCSI2 or 'slow' scsi2) then this will limit your drives. Those kinds of devices should be connected to the stock SCSI-2 bus (5MB/s).

Another options - since I assume you already have a firewire card for your camcorder is to get a large IDE/ATA-FIREWIRE drive. Even though firewire is 50MB/s, you are still limted to about 15MB/s because of the IDE/ATA bridge chip - still, that is more than enough for digital video.

OtherWorld Computing used to sell the REV-B ROMS... I have not seen them in awhile. They were about $40, I think.