PDA

View Full Version : Norton Disk Doctor Question

Cooker
01-09-2001, 04:51 PM
Hi Gurus,
I just got a copy of Norton Utilities and decided to first run NDD from the CD before I install it.
It seemed to go smoothly and corrected many minor errors... but it found a major error that couldn't be repaired. It found multiple system folders and said that it's a bad idea. The only other sys folder that I find is in a folder call Original Items ( which has many duplicates of installed programs ). I never really understood what this folder was all about, but I hesitate to mess with it without some expert advice ... which brings me to the GURUS. In the meantime my G4 is running great and has been all along. You guys just got me through a SCSI installation ( UL3D & 2 Cheetahs ) that went perfectly, so here I am again for some advice.

Thanks once more,
John L

magician
01-09-2001, 07:13 PM
john, this is a hold-over from the past, when Apple absolutely did not recommend multiple system folders on a single volume. They have since relaxed this stricture, though many of us "old-school" types still adhere to it. My feeling is, the programmers at Symantec understand what happens at a boot-block level with a System Folder, and simply want to prevent problems from arising. So, IMO, it is a good thing to flag this as a problem. I don't necessarily believe that it is a so-called "major problem," but it is better to have one MacOS folder, one System Folder, rather than several, on a single volume.

there is no problem with one System Folder on multiple volumes, meaning each volume you have can be bootable.

hope that helps?

Cooker
01-09-2001, 07:25 PM
Thanks Magician,
I feel a little better now. One last question on the subject. Does the
'Original Items' Folder which has nothing but duplicate programs on it, perform any necessary function.

John

Louie
01-09-2001, 08:19 PM
What was the source of this folder? It sounds like someone's idea to keep duplicates. Is this a brand-new machine?

Cooker
01-09-2001, 08:47 PM
Hi Louie,
Yes, it's a fairly new machine. G4 500mhz. I got it just before the dual processor came out ( of course )! It's my first Mac, and I always thought it suspicious that it had a folder named 'original items' on the main startup drive
( macintosh HD ) that duplicated in that folder whatever I installed. I thought it more suspicious that there was another system folder in there? The machine runs fairly well, so I just kind of accepted it. I've been tempted to move it to another drive just to see if it would cause a problem. I use the Mac for pretty demanding programs, like Premiere and After Effects and almost never crash. It kills my PC for dependability. Any thoughts? It's becoming annoying to get dupes everytime I do a search.

Thanks
John

Oh... Another tidbit. The sysem folder in the questionable folder, is smaller than the actual system folder. I don't think it updates as the real system folder grows.

Louie
01-09-2001, 10:08 PM
Well, I've never heard of such a thing, but I don't have a new Mac. Do you mean that if you add something to your HD, it duplicates it in this folder? Weird!

I'd be tempted to trash it. However, as a newbie, you might toss something you need. Maybe the best thing to do is reformat and do a clean install.

Anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

Come to think of it, when I tried to have SoftRAID "take-over" from my Apple drivers, it did some weird things such as SCSI Probe and other utilities seeing two drives. I had to start fresh.

Cooker
01-09-2001, 11:11 PM
So here's what I'm doing. I copied that weird "Original Items" folder from my main startup disc to my new SCSI LVD Drive as a backup. I then dragged the original to the trash. I then re-booted and so far I see no problem. It started just fine. Now, when I get the nerve I'll dump the trash. If after a little while all seems well I'll just clean it off my SCSI. I hope this all works. I would hate to have to re-do this whole system again. I put so much work into setting it up the way it is now...

Oh me

MacMikester
01-09-2001, 11:16 PM
Louie,

I've never heard of such a thing either. At first I thought he was talking about the Old System folder that is created when you do a clean install beside an existing System. Apparantly not.
Weird.

Louie
01-09-2001, 11:19 PM
Well Cooker, that seems like a wise, conservative approach. Has that folder always been there?

Cooker
01-09-2001, 11:32 PM
Hi Guys
I guess the folder has always been here. It has Adobe Premiere in it and that was probably the first program I installed. Actually I re-did this system once soon after I got it. I got this major conflict trying to install & run Premiere and EditDV on the same system. After hours on the phone with Digital Origin tech support, and they couldn't help, I decided to just clean up & start over again. I never re-installed EditDV. In any case the weird folder has been there at least since I re did it, which is about 6 months ago.

Cook

Cooker
01-10-2001, 05:10 PM
At last ...

Well guys, I finally found out where this "Original Items" folder came from. When you re-install your system software from the Mac CD, There's an option to create this folder as a safeguard against loosing any important info. Then after you examine it and are sure you don't need any of it, you can trash it.
Thanks again for all your help. I guess this time we all learned something...

Cooker