PDA

View Full Version : Installing 2 Cheetahs & ATTO UL3D in G4

Cooker
01-05-2001, 11:16 PM
My plan is to 1. Install drives. 2. Install Card 3. Connect Ribbons & LVD Diagnostic terminators. ( I understand that the drive ID's can both be at "0" since they'll be on seperate channels.) (is that correct? ) 4. Start the computer and run SoftRAID to format and stripe the drives. What do I use express pro tool for ( that came with the ATTO card ). If anyone thinks I'm doing something wrong, or has a better sequence, or any advise at all I'd really appreciate it. I'm just brand new at SCSI, though not too bad with Computers in general. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY INPUT, CORRECTIONS OR IMPROVEMENT.
Thank a lot
Cooker .... HELP ....

Louie
01-05-2001, 11:31 PM
Verify latest ATTO firmware/flash the card, if necessary, before connecting drives.

ExpressRAID is a nice keepsake. You can use some of its utilities (performance tests). Each channel can have an ID=0.

MacMikester
01-05-2001, 11:53 PM
New ATTO firmware flasher just out, vers. 1.6.3; download from ATTO support site.
New version of ATTO ExpressPro Tools, 2.5.0; download from ATTO support site.

Cooker
01-06-2001, 02:39 AM
Thanks Guys ... MacMikester, I just downloaded the updates from ATTO. My only concern is on the Pro Tools. Will it cause any conflict to install it, since I'll actually be using SoftRAID. Can I just install the program without the drivers?

Cook

Dogstarman
01-06-2001, 09:24 AM
Well, I will tell you from my experience. I run ProTools on a 9600 with 4 seagates insinde...2 of them are striped, 2 mirrored. Everything is formatted and handled via SoftRaid and I have had zero problems. YMMV, though.

MacMikester
01-06-2001, 12:44 PM
Hey Cooker,

ProTools is just a very useful utility. It doesn't install drivers or do anything to your drives unless you tell it to do so. Even using SostRAID or other drivers, you can access some drive mode page settings and soforth with ProTools, set operating parameters on the ATTO card, and benchmark performance, etc.

Be Not Afraid, the force is with you http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

magician
01-06-2001, 03:33 PM
right.

when you are prompted by the ATTO installer (you actually drag an icon to the drive you want to install onto), do not install the ATTO extension. You do not need it, and it may conflict with other extensions. Likewise the SoftRAID extension. You must manually disable it in the Extensions Manager or Conflict Catcher.

your sequence is fine. Once you have your hardware installed, boot SoftRAID and initialize your drives. No need for a low level format. It should take about five seconds per drive. Then highlight both and create a striped volume. It will mount on the desktop, and voila, you are done and ready to get back to work.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cooker
01-08-2001, 06:01 PM
Thank you all for your help. I finally got all the parts together and got it up and running. It went very smooth. Of course I still have questions. I installed the express pro tools software ( leaving out the driver). Now, how do I use configure pro tools to benchmark my new raid volume ? As of now the benchmark selection is still greyed out...

Thanks a lot
John

MacMikester
01-08-2001, 06:49 PM
Hey John,

You just select a volume from the list in the main window, then the option to benchmark becomes active in the menu. Works that way for other options as well.

Regards

Cooker
01-08-2001, 07:32 PM
Silly me.
I was looking at the windows in reverse. Thanks ... In the meantime I installed disk speed tools ( at Gurus reccomendation ) and it came back with a benchmark reading of 134 mg sec write and 52 mg read ... I'm in shock. Isn't that exceptionally fast for using just two 10k drives ? I guess my SCSI installation went well. I really appreciate all the help you guys give ... and fast. I'll be back

Thanks again
John