PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Newertech shutdown

egolwitzeal
01-02-2001, 10:37 AM
I purchased a G3/400/200 upgrade card from Newer two weeks ago. I had no idea they were going under. Where am I going to get the latest drivers and tech support? Its been great so far! Any help would be appreciated!

kaye
01-02-2001, 02:18 PM
Well the drivers are here http://www.newertech.com/software/drivers/index.html but the tech support will be gone shortly if not already, unless someone else buys them up. k

Ton
01-02-2001, 03:19 PM
I don't think you have to worry too much for the time being.
I have ran several Newertech cards very succesfully with Machspeed drivers from XLR8 as wel as the Powerlogic Cache Profiler drivers. There's only one more MAC OS 9x (9.1) update to go and I have every confidence that even if the latest Newertech drivers wouldn't function anymore one of those will.
OS X however is a different matter, but at this point no upgrademaker can give a 100% garantee that it will work on upgraded vintage macs when the real thing comes out.

magician
01-02-2001, 03:25 PM
I think that is a pretty good summation of the situation, ton.

I have a suspicion that someone may have purchased Newer, or at least be in active negotiations for their technology, customer list, and other assets. We should know more shortly.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

egolwitzeal
01-03-2001, 11:54 AM
Thank you for the info. I will be interested to see who picks up Newer's Tech support. Hve a great day

Murph
01-05-2001, 02:26 AM
My Newer G3/300 card died last week with 3 days left on the warranty. Last Thursday they gave me an RMA # & I sent it back for a new one. Friday they closed their doors! So now I'm sitting on my old 9500 with the original processor back in it (120). They are having a sharelolders meeting on Jan. 8, so we'll see...

magician
01-05-2001, 12:53 PM
you guys would not BELIEVE some of the horrific stories I have heard since the shut-down....I begged these new customers of ours to post their experiences here, as they claimed that posts they had made on Excite had been mysteriously deleted.

it seems some of the folks who lost their jobs took some parting shots. Hopefully the skeleton crew remaining to shut things down will treat their former customers with a little more respect.