PDA

View Full Version : OS 8.6 Upgrade

harrillj
11-11-2000, 10:21 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can find OS 8.6 upgrade? I am going to reformat my hard drive (currently running 8.1), and reinstall 8.5. I have the 8.5 CD, but I have heard there were some key fixes in the 8.6 upgrade. I went to the Apple site, but it is nowhere to be found. Using a PowerMAc 9600.

Thanks

kaye
11-12-2000, 01:42 AM
h,

Apple has 8.5.1 for download and there were some fixes. But 8.6, as far as I know, is a purchase only. k

Louie
11-12-2000, 12:59 PM
Kaye's correct; you have to buy 8.6.

Michael
11-12-2000, 05:45 PM
If you're buying why not get OS 9.04? it's good.

M

harrillj
11-12-2000, 05:54 PM
This Mac is dedicated to Digidesign's Pro Tools recording system in a recording studio. Although Pro Tools has just announced they now support Pro Tools on OS 9, I have read the Digi forums. The result is that Pro Tools is rock solid on 8.6, a tad buggy on OS 9, and more importantly, it is sluggish on 9.0.

Not quite yet for OS 9, although I would have liked to do it and get it over with.

thanks

Ruben
11-13-2000, 12:05 AM
Mac OS 8.6 is available free of charge as an update to owners of 8.5 or 8.5.1 from Apple at http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11386 (http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11386.)

If you're curious as to where I found it, go to Apple's home page, click
the Support tab, hold the mouse over the Mac OS X icon, select Mac OS 8.6,
and finally select Mac OS 8.6 (US) from the Update pull down menu (or whatever
language version you're interested in).

It's available as either a single download of 35 MBytes or in 12 chunks of about 3 Mbytes each.

Hope this helps.

Ruben

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 13 November 2000).]

Ruben
11-13-2000, 12:15 AM
Hmmm. Apparently you can't just link to this page (or I'm doing something wrong) because I keep getting an Error 500 message when I click on the web link. Oh well, following the other directions should get you to the right place for sure.

Ruben

magician
11-13-2000, 03:40 PM
the link works now. I had to delete a period at the end of the URL.

it's TIL article number 11386 (http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11386).

Michael
11-13-2000, 05:08 PM
this is a prime example of what musicians have been putting up with for years. digidesign is just getting around to OS 9.imagine.that's what happens when you think you have a monopoly.

M

harrillj
11-19-2000, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the help here in this thread. I spent the wekend doing my re-format, OS install of 8.6 and also what took most of the day, re-nstalling all of the Pro Tools software and plug-ins. Still in the middle of it.

However... another question arose. One of the plug-ins for the Pro Tools software I am installing required 8.6.1. I installed 8.6. I went to apple site that I downloaded 8.6 from, but could not locate 8.6.1

Does anybody know where I can locate this.

Thanks again in advance

Louie
11-19-2000, 01:17 PM
There never was a 8.6.1. I've several mentions of it, but it doesn't exist. There were several individual updates to various components of 8.6. One dealing with font corruption comes to mind. Go here http://asu.info.apple.com/ and browse, looking for any that are for 8.6. (Some are for 8.6 and 9.xx).

harrillj
11-19-2000, 01:29 PM
Thanks again. Maybe that is why I can't locate it. I'll shoot an email to the vendor to ask them what they mean then by 8.6.1

harrillj
11-19-2000, 02:03 PM
Hi again,

I have another question that I was hoping I could get cleared up. When I installed 8.5 and then 8.6 on top of 8.5 this weekend, I encountered a question about the proper driver.... During the install of 8.5 and 8.6 this weekend, I was prompted about updating the hard drive driver, for which I "thought" I then did. I was then prompted with a message that the driver update would take affect after a restart. I restarted, but when I clicked on Get Info for the drive, it is still showing an 8.1 driver. FWB is also stil showing 8.1 driver on the boot drive.

Keeping in mind that my experience is limited on the Mac, is this a problem? I would think the driver should now say 8.6 or 8.5 at the least. The OS 8.6 is running fine, all seems to be well, but the drivers still say 8.1. Should I be concerned?

PS - I did perform a low-level format before the OS 8.5 install.

magician
11-19-2000, 02:21 PM
to really take care of it, just download Drive Setup 1.9.2 from our FTP site and manually update drivers on each drive.

if you have drives formatted with Hard Disk Toolkit....well, I would either transition away from that utility, or ensure that you are running the latest revision, and have manually updated drivers on each drive with the utility.

Louie
11-19-2000, 08:44 PM
It's confusing. Drive Setup can install different drivers depending on the type of drive you have (SCSI, IDE) or uses (servers, A/UX, etc.)

If you update drivers on a SCSI disk with Drive Setup 1.9.2, the driver installed is version 8.1.4. Just learn to love it.

levelbest
01-02-2001, 12:21 AM
There is another page for the System software. I wish I had the URL handy. over the past 24 hours or so I have dug deeply into my new 7300, including finding that 8.6 is free for system 8,5 upgrades. My used Mac came with 8,5 but no disk. After reading all the warnings about slower system and font corruption, my unstuffed 8.6 is still sitting safely on my desktop. But, as I learn from these forums, I will probably do it anyway.

Both this site and the xcelR8yourmac sites have been extremely useful so I would check both sites for the software. I also found my user manuals, etc.. And all at some other location than Apple. Maybe it's me but their site seems so slow and "clugy".

And it seems true from what I have been reading that, system 8.6 was the last bit released before 9.x. There were some references for 8.6.1 but they were apparently bogus.

LevelBest@MindSpring.com

Louie
01-02-2001, 01:02 AM
There is a later, free downloadable fix for OS 8.6 font corruption. OS 8.6 is one of the best. Go for it!