PDA

View Full Version : adding HD to 8500

stewartnc
12-28-2000, 07:34 PM
Help!! I want to add a 2nd 1.2gb HD to this 8500. Don't know much about macs or scsi. any tips would be welcome!
Thanks,Stewart

magician
12-29-2000, 12:10 AM
ok, stew...assuming you already have the drive, all you need to do is remember that you are tracing the internal SCSI cable from the logic board to the CD-ROM, to a vacant connector or two, and then finally to your internal drive. If the Mac works ok, you can assume that the stock drive is addressed at ID0, and that it is terminated. You should confirm the ID using SCSI Probe or Peripheral View or any other utility. You can find them on our FTP site.

your CD-ROM will be at ID3, with termination disabled, if it is configured correctly.

you will install your second internal drive using ID1, or any other ID except ID's 0, 3 and 7, and ensure it is not terminated. You will install it on one of the vacant connectors between the CD-ROM and the stock hard drive.

ok?

stewartnc
12-29-2000, 06:05 AM
ok, magician, this is an original quantum fireball 1.2 gb drive. after removing the drive sled, I see 5 small jumpers in a row labeled in this order:
A2,A1,A0,TE,PK, am I right that I romove the jumper from TE, and put it on A1 to set it at ID1?what does the PK stand for??
stewart

Dogstarman
12-29-2000, 11:40 AM
You can leave the ID setting for the stock drive as is. But you need to address the new drive to any other ID than 0,3 or 7. You need to enable termination on the last physical device on the chain. PK is for Park...no, I am not kidding. Used to "park" a spare jumper.

So if your new drive is added in between the existing ones, you just need to address it. If it is being installed nearer to the end of the cable (not connected to the computer) than any other devices, you need to address it and enable termination on it...while disabling termination on the existing drive.

magician
12-29-2000, 12:26 PM
ok...pulling a jumper off the TE pins disables termination on that drive. Placing a jumper on the TE pins enables termination.

placing a jumper on the first set of addressing pins sets the drive to ID 1. Customs vary, and I can't see yourdrive, but if it has a series of pins labelled A1, A2, etc., those are probably the addressing pins.

MacMikester
12-29-2000, 08:56 PM
Hey all members and seekers of knowledge,

I just want to take this opportunity to clearly state something that often gets overlooked in these instructional how-tos. Your last physical device on any SCSI chain should be terminated-----this is always clearly stated. But, on a non-LVD chain, your last physical device or terminator should also be on the last physical connector of the cable. In other words. all empty connectors should be somewhere in the middle of the chain and there should be no empty connectors beyond your last device or terminator. After several years of reading questions about SCSI , I think this point is not always appreciated.

If this point is merely an obviosity, then excuse the hell out of me for just trying to be helpful . Happy happy New Year to all http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dogstarman
12-30-2000, 01:55 PM
Hey MM. Thanks for the tip I knew about, but often forget. A point definitely worth making again and again. Happy New Year, folks!!