PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW Internal!

dobru4u
12-29-2000, 11:30 PM
I'm considering getting a CD-RW, but would prefer an internal drive.
Are there any issues with installing it in place of the CD ROM Drive in my PPC9600?
Are those bootable ( I guess that depends on the make and model etc.) how about Plextor and Yamaha?
Any suggestions/tips etc would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Louie
12-30-2000, 12:20 AM
Most CDRW's with proper drivers will be bootable. I think you would be much happier to leave the internal CD player installed and add an internal CDRW in another slot if you have one empty. With only a CDRW and no CD player, all CD's to be copied would have to be made into disk images before being burned.

PENDRAGON18
12-30-2000, 02:46 AM
Definately keep your OLD CD player if you can. Using the CD-r/w as your only CD drive is not a good idea. They are not cheap (relative to a regular player) and it will last longer if you use the regular drive for reading.

An external may last a bit longer again, because you would only need to turn it on when recording. When burning they do generate a lot of heat, but the 9600 case should handle that easily.

I like the Plextor CD-ROM drives. I got a PANISONIC 4/8x drive a while ago... it works good, but is noisy as HELL. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/mad.gif

You might want to get a firewire model http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!

crazyeights
12-30-2000, 04:09 AM
Ditto Louie and PD....keep the Regular drive.

I have a Yamaha, works pretty good, but won't boot the machine for some reason...upgraded OS and Intech CD/DVD Speedtools ..still no go.

You could get a plextor from gurus, and you KNOW you'll have plenty of top flight support, and you have a choice between SCSI or FireWire. Those closeout OEM FireWire cards on Guru's Deals and Steal page are a damn good buy for $54.99!! (I bought one for later.) If you can deal with having an external FireWire CD-RW, it'll migrate over to a New World Mac at a later date.

My 2

Louie, I hope you're holiday was okay. You were missed around here!!

Best to all

c8

tm311
12-30-2000, 06:49 AM
i have a yamaha internal burner and it is bootable...plus i have a plextor reader internal....seems to be the best way to go like everyone says...you may beed to upgrade your oem cd-rom drive if you intend on burning audio cd's to avoid problems like buffer overrun.