PDA

View Full Version : routers, hubs, and switchers

mjustin
12-18-2000, 11:53 AM
I have a Mac and 2 PCs> I have a DSL connection. I have an epson ink jet( which will be replaced very soon)
I would send the DSL to all the computers.
I would like each computer to be able to use the same printer.

In regards to the DSL I was recommended to use a router (this won't split the power up , like a hub would-- this is a good idea)

could I also use a router for the printer networking?????

1)In specific, what would work for my situation ?

2)In general, what do routers do, as opposed to hubs, as opposed to switches????

magician
12-18-2000, 05:34 PM
a router is like an internet modem, though that's not a completely accurate way to describe it. That's pretty much what a router does, though. It keeps track of what machines are on a subnet behind it, it can incorporate a firewall, and it talks to DNS and other servers and functions as an interface, or gateway, to servers and other machines elsewhere on the internet. The internet is hierarchical, with routers talking to routers, until your message packets are routed to a router that handles the IP addresses you are sending to or receiving from, if that makes any sense.

someone else can probably describe this better. Anyway, a router is a router. A switch is different, in that it is pretty much an intelligent hub, with circuitry that dynamically allocates bandwidth and maintains a connection between devices on a subnet as required. A hub is a device used to enable devices to interface. A switch is simply a faster, more expensive kind of hub.

the easy way to do this is, make sure that all your devices have an ethernet interface. You can then use TCP/IP to network them all over ethernet, and your Macs will be able to talk to one another, and both will be able to share your printer.

a router can be simply one more device on a hub or a switch, and it can enable all other devices on the same subnet to access the internet. You will want to work with an ISP or get a router with a firewall, however, as a router can also make your devices available to the rest of the internet, so you do need to know what you are doing when you set one up. The easiest way to handle it is to just have your ISP take care of it.

Captain Ahab
12-19-2000, 09:53 AM
I would follow Magicians advise and talk to your ISP, I'm far from being an expert but I can tell you what worked for me. DSL service is provided by Qwest (USWest) in my town and the DSL Modem (router?) is a Cisco 6xx external. I have three Mac's hooked up to the DSL line.

The computers all need to have ethernet cards, a hub (mine is four port), the DSL modem, and a "Hive" of static IP addresses from an ISP. A hive is a group of different static IP addresses, mine is 5 addresses and cost 5 bucks (extra) a month.

Hook up the computers and the DSL modem to the hub, configure TCP/IP for ethernet connection and give each computer a different IP address. Now, this works great with an external DSL Modem (the only kind Qwest had for a Mac), I don't know about internal DSL modems which most Windows computers seem to use.

I know there are other ways to do it, but this is the only one I've tried. And it works great http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good luck,
Ahab

[This message has been edited by Captain Ahab (edited 19 December 2000).]

ChrisYip
12-19-2000, 11:09 AM
Here's what I have set up at home on my DSL line

DSL modem (DHCP IP address from Bell Sympatico) -> Asante DSL/Cable router -> Airport base station

The Asante is set up to accept the IP from Bell Sympatico. It also works w/ the PPPoE protocol. It then sets up its own DHCP server for all my internal machines so that they have a private LAN number (192.xxx.xxx.xxx). The router then acts as a firewall and to the outside world, it appears like I only have the one machine while the router can distribute up to some number of private LAN numbers and keep track of the appropriate packets and requests (i.e. if you set up the ports right, you can run a WWW server behind the router's firewall etc..)

You can hardwire via ethernet to the router (this one is a 4 port) and have your printer request an IP from the router by telling the printer to use a DCHP server.

Chris.

jorge
12-19-2000, 07:03 PM
Chris,

your running Airport?

damn, wanted to upgrade my office but we have a few machines in th ebuilding that give off rfs. The machine made a strike and the grounding shield fell of one day. A computer 50 ft from it had its logic board burned down the middle! In other words, doesn't like wireless connections in the building.

What I want is a wireless high speed web connection now. Can't wait until that tech is mainstream.

j

ChrisYip
12-19-2000, 08:15 PM
Yup...

Have Airport at home and in my lab...We're running with the Lucent Gold cards in a number of machines - from Lombards to ThinkPads, Dells, and Toshiba. I also have a student using a Dell Aeroport (sp?) card in his Inspiron - everything firing back through the Airport Base Station UFO. I've even used the Lucent card in a (now-dead) Wallstreet as a software base station and that worked just as well where the Wallstreet was up on our network through its 10BaseT connection and then had the Lucent card in its PCMCIA slot.

It's just amazing and totally transparent - having it at home is sweet - I just shutdown my laptop at work - unplug the AC adapter and my mouse, come home and boot up anywhere in the house and I'm back and up on the net. The requests for IPs goes out the Lucent card -> Base Station and then to the DSL router which ultimately makes the request to my ISP.

Highly recommended..

Chris.