PDA

View Full Version : B & W G3 Server or "regular" G3

jondoefb
12-08-2000, 12:57 PM
OK. We have a B&W G3 450mhz/256 Ram/(2) 9GB SCSI hard drives. I've searched apples site to no avail trying to figure out what makes this a "server" as opposed to a regular G3. Is the OS different? When it boots, it just says "Welcome to Mac OS 8.6". I'm asking because we're having a lot of problems since we added 2 firewire HDs (Connected to the 2 firewire ports built into the case of the computer). It takes 20-30 minutes to boot some mornings, and won't run right at all today. When I was connecting the Firewire HD's last month,I had to install the FireWire Updates and a Firmware Update. Everything seemed to work until today. I have to use Firewire 2.3.3 because 8.6 doesn't support Firewire 2.5 (OS 9.0 does I think) So......should I just upgrade this machine to OS 9.0 or do I need something special since it may be a "server" ??

Thanks

EGPoulin
12-08-2000, 01:39 PM
What makes that machine a server is that it comes with a UW SCSI Card/HardDrive and the ASIP software (as well as a copy of softraid). To upgrade to 9.0.4 you will also have to update ASIP to the newest version, which is downloadable from apple's web site. The old server software will not run under 9 unless it is updated.

Someone please confirm this, but if you are using AtEase on any workstations connectd to the server, you will need to upgrade to the Macintosh Manager Package too (an upgrade that you have to buy).

~~~E~~~

[This message has been edited by EGPoulin (edited 08 December 2000).]

jondoefb
12-08-2000, 03:01 PM
Ah....that would make sense. I just found and went through the box of software that came with it, and I found the ASIP cd (it has never been installed)and the manuals. The other "green cd" does say Macintosh G3 Server, but I guess since nobody installed any of the server includesor the ASIP , it's just a high powered "workstation" at this point. Does that sound right?
So you don't think I'm completely dumb....I didn't work here when this machine was bought and setup http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the info.

JayPee
12-08-2000, 03:21 PM
EGPoulin,

You can download MacManager for free from the Appe Software Updates site. (both the server and the client)

ChrisYip
12-08-2000, 03:46 PM
You could check to see if ASIP was pre-installed on the machine. One way to check is to look at your extensions manager and see if any ASIP extensions are loaded
The other way - click on a folder and try to enable sharing using the normal Mac OS way of Apple-I and then Sharing. If it says you can't do that due to "version of the File Sharing Software" then ASIP is running...

Chris.

EGPoulin
12-09-2000, 12:01 AM
I've worked with ASIP that came with a B&W server. When ASIP is running it shows a startup prograss bar immediately after loading the OS and is selectable in the process pull down (upper right where is says the application name). I believe that it did come preinstalled but needed to be activated and setup before it automatically loaded. Another way to see if it is loaded is to just look though the folders on the HD and see if you see ASIP in there.

If that machine is just a workstation, ASIP does not need to be on there. Treat is as a B&W with a SCSI card.

And don't worry, noone thinks that you are completely dumb... you should see what I ask around here! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~~~Eric~~~