PDA

View Full Version : My "new" 4000/200

MoosePC
07-30-2001, 10:30 AM
Hello all.

I just recently purchased a Starmax 4000/200 for little of nothing. Reason: the hard drive was dead!

I put in a new 20GB IDE HDD and installed 9.1, and everything works fine. Now I'm in an upgrading mood. My main question is, does the internal IDE bus support two drives per channel or only one? I would love to add a zip drive and a CD-RW without having to eat up a pci slot for SCSI.

I have checked all the help sites such as Everymac.com and lowendmac.com with no help. Anybody here have any ideas?

------------------
Moose!

kaye
07-30-2001, 01:08 PM
Moose,

That question was discussed here http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000003.html and jerrykimmel never posted results. You might email him.
http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0797/rev.starmax.html seems to imply that you cannot add another hard drive, but the box originally came with an IDE CD-ROM drive. About all I know. k

the_anarch
07-30-2001, 10:55 PM
The Tanzania motherboard has two built-in IDE buses and one built-in SCSI bus. One IDE bus is for the HD, which you know about. The other is labelled "ATAPI CD-ROM", but I would think you could add any IDE drive to it, right? Maybe I don't know enough about IDE. Of course you could always add drives to the SCSI bus, but that of course is a slow SCSI bus. Maybe 10 MB/sec, probably 5. Fine for a CD-RW or Zip drive, of course.

I would bet you could add an ATAPI Zip drive to the other IDE bus, a CD-RW to the SCSI bus, then eat all your cake, AND have it too.

BTW, even if you did decide at some point to add a PCI SCSI card it wouldn't be all that bad. The StarMax had five slots, with one already taken by the NIC card, so you'd still be left with three at that point.

MoosePC
08-21-2001, 09:49 AM
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been busy with numerous projects.

I finally got around to my StarMax, put a two connector ribbon on the HDD IDE channel and setup another IDE drive as slave. Initially the computer wouldn't boot, and after several tries with different drives, I finally had to boot to CD.

The CD asked me if I wanted to initialize this new drive, to which I said yes. Rebooted to the HDD, but only got an unknown disk icon. Then I disconnected the slave drive and tried to reboot to my main 20GB drive, only to learn that it had been initialized as well...I lost everything! I had to reinstall 9.1, and numerous other apps.

Moral of the story: The StarMax 4000/200 will not accept additional drives on the IDE channels. I hope this info may help others in the future.

Moose!

kaye
08-21-2001, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the update Moose. k