PDA

View Full Version : Start-up chime and then nothing!!

jmtulloss
08-07-2001, 05:08 PM
I just built a mac using the motherboard of a Starmax 4000/200. When I pushed the power button, the start-up chime sounded and then nothing. The screen was blank and the hard drives stopped moving. What can I do??

lasvegas
08-07-2001, 10:54 PM
It would help if you gave us a bit more information. You say you built this Mac. Did you install it in a ATX case? If so, did you use screws or teflon clips to attach the board to the case? Have you verified the appropriate voltages at the power connectors?

jmtulloss
08-08-2001, 08:56 AM
Sorry. I used an ATX case, and I screwed the motherboard in with standoffs. I was going to use an ATX power supply, but when that didn't work out I ended using the original power supply. The old ATX power supply blew out my first mobo, so this one hasn't been damaged by my original experiments with the ATX supply.

lasvegas
08-09-2001, 02:30 AM
If the standoffs are metel, add non-metallic washers both above and below the board except in those places that are clearly intended for grounding. Alternatively, you can replace those standoffs with teflon standoffs available at your local electronics store.

To verify that the mounting is the cause of the problem, try removing the motherboard completely from the case (on a static free surface) and try running it "out of the box" If it starts up, it's your mounting causing the problem.

the_anarch
08-09-2001, 11:55 AM
Moving on further from vegas' suggestions, if troubleshooting the motherboard's mounting doesn't result in any changes...

Next, I would tackle the video and SCSI circuitry. If you're running the monitor off the on-board monitor port, try installing a 2nd monitor PCI card and using that. Or vice versa, if you're running the monitor off a 2nd card now. Also, I'm sure you've already done this, but make sure the monitor itself is OK.

I am aware that only addresses part of the problem, since there seems to be no boot activity from the hard drives. You might want to try switching the drive out, or if you can, get an IDE drive and run it off that port. If you are running it off an IDE drive now, you might try switching it from the IDE port to the ATAPI port (although I've never done this myself, I don't see why it wouldn't work assuming the port itself is OK). Or switch to a SCSI drive! You see what I'm getting at.

Because you are neither getting boot activity from your hard drive nor video activity on your monitor, I'm still skeptical that what I'm suggesting above will actually solve the problems, since it's treating your symptoms as two separate problems, and it's more likely that it's one problem- hopefully not a dead motherboard. But, I don't really know any other ways to go about this, other than to just try different things and hope something changes in your situation.

Good luck!

jmtulloss
08-09-2001, 02:15 PM
I tried starting it up on a static free surface and it did the same. I've spent hours shuffling drives, no difference. The only thing I can make it do is restart using the key command and also the reset button. That's all the response it has in the world. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the fan (one I pulled from a gutted LC 475) does not start on power up. The power suppliy's fan does, but not the motherboard's. Does this mean it's fried?

the_anarch
08-09-2001, 10:51 PM
Yeesh. Have you got the fan plugged into the three-pin plug at the front of the board, near the processor? It's to the right of the speaker and power switch/reset pins.

The only other thing I was going to suggest was pushing the CUDA reset button, but it just occurred to me that I don't know where it is. So I pulled my motherboard out to look for it... and couldn't find it. Anyone know how to do a CUDA reset on a Tanzania board?

I guess you could always unplug the PRAM battery and leave it alone for a day or so, that would accomplish basically the same thing.

lasvegas
08-10-2001, 01:43 AM
Try attaching a Modem to the modem port. If both the TX and RX lights light up when you power up, your computer is falling into OpenFirmware (OF). If it is, you could attach another computer with a terminal program to that port to access the OF and type in "bye" to get it to attempt a normal boot.

Anarch's suggestion of pressing the CUDA would also break out of the OF trap and if you can't find it, you could try an NvRAM zap by holding Command-Option-P-R from a cold boot.