PDA

View Full Version : Umax s900 and its 604e 200mhz

davidbrown
06-28-2001, 03:09 PM
I have a s900 with one of the 604e at 200mhz processors. I have a Initio UW2 and two 18.2 cheetahs which are stiped raid 0. I have a ati radeon pci 128 card. I have a Micoorange firewire pci card and keyspan usb boards. Oh I have two interleaving 128s for 256mb of Ram. I dumped a bundle with the gurus and others. And now the guestion since I want to use my pansonic dv-pv101 camcorder to capture with the firewire then edit and sent it back to camcorder via firewire.

Here's the questions: What is the equilivant to a PC Pentium I, II, or III vs the Umax s900's 604e at 200mhx? How will this setup stack up for this type of video editing and capturing? I can't afford at the present time to dump for a g3 or g4 upgrade board plus I am leary that I will encounter endless hardware problems.
All help is welcome!

thanks,
David

dragon_x
06-28-2001, 03:26 PM
The 200Mhz 604e PPC is equivalent to a 200 ~ 266Mhz Pentium II. I have done a bit of analog capture with a 7500/180Mhz 604e and got about 10~12FPS. WIth compression I got about 18FPS, but it was uneven & choppy. Of course my HDs were much slower. I forget how much RAM I had. You only need about 4MB/s for DV (via Firewire) so you could probably do OK.

Also the RADEON PCI and the ATI 128 (RAGE128) PCI are different cards.

G3's are fairly easy and trouble free to install. I would recommend an XLR8 Carrier card + 300Mhz (or faster) G3. You could even us a G4 because you only have one PCI controller. Heck, tried out the old 604e for a few weeks or months and see how it goes. That way when you upgrade to a G3 you will really be impressed! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

davidbrown
06-29-2001, 07:45 PM
Thanks for info. I downloaded apple's imove but I get choppy video and sound. I am not sure what to do to improve this so I will have maybe go thru the tutorial. Any ideas. I have virtual memory shut off.
david
P.S. I wish there was mac video edit software which is kinda cheap so I could get support. I called apple and they said no no a clone go to xell. good bye

davidbrown
06-29-2001, 08:05 PM
Oh by the way, I can capture or import via firewire ok however when I go to export via firewire back to mini dv tape the sound is broken up or blanks out momentarily and video blanks a few frames quite often. I am not sure what this means. The guy apple did say that the umax bus was too slow for firewire. If it is pentium II then bus speed is about 66MHZ which should be above and beyond my needs.
David

trag
06-30-2001, 01:06 AM
I'm not experienced with digital video, so these are general suggestions, not from experience with your exact situation.

First, you might try putting the firewire card in one of the top two PCI slots. If you can get the Radeon card to work in one of the lower four PCI slots, then put the Firewire card and the U2W card in the upper two slots and try that. The upper two slots in the S900 have better performance than the lower four slots. Plus the lower four slots all share one interrupt and that could be causing problems.

Second, the Orange Micro Firewire cards are reputed to have used a slower Firewire chip. If switching slots does not work, you may wish to try a faster Firewire card. I'll have to leave it to someone else to recommend a brand or what to look for, but I know I've read several reports that the OM Firewire cards use a much lower performing chip than some other cards.

I hope that helps.

dragon_x
06-30-2001, 01:42 AM
Your bus is 50Mhz. Your ram is 70ns or faster (probably 60ns), 64bits wide. Standard PCI is 33Mhz, 32bit. DV only needs about 4MB/s sustained throughput. The S900 should easily be able to do this. The issue may be when the CPU has to do some work. iMovie is probably optimzed for newer systems, but its cheap or free. I think VideoShop is bundled with many FW cards on the Mac. You might want to try this... maybe OM will give you some support on it. Maybe an expert will come along...

dragon_x
06-30-2001, 03:58 PM
You might try setting your DISK CACHE from the Memory control panel to 1MB or less. 96KB might work best. GL

davidbrown
06-30-2001, 05:48 PM
I'll try the disk cache. I have virtual memory turn off.
After spending all day today, I tested my new camcorder on my pc with a pinnaclesys dv 500 and PIII-600 with external scsi videoraid. It worked great. I did not try the additional WD firewire board but rather used pinnacle limit IEEE1394 port. I did pull it and wrestled with getting the OMicro drivers out of my supermac. Once the Western digital firewire was in with the scsi in slot one, the radeon (that's a pick board where it wants to be,) in slot two, and last the orangemicro firewire in slot 3. I left out my keyspan usb and asante 100MHZ nic.
This gave the same results as before with WD. So put everything back they way it was. It works about the same. I decided I'll try calling Orange micro on Monday. I did load up premiere 5.1b limited and that was even worse then Imovie. Maybe I will order a G3 on Monday from the macgurus. I noticed that the WD and the OM online support recommended that the speed match your bus (50MHZ). I not sure how to do that with a XLR8 carrier which is the type I will probably order. I will try the cache thou.
Thanks for feed back,
David