PDA

View Full Version : S900 only boots on second try

Miles
06-13-2001, 02:10 PM
I'm having a small problem with the S900 that I recently aquired: from cold, it always takes two tries for the machine to boot. On the first try, I get startup chime, the disks spin up, but there is no video. I power down (with the button on the front of the computer - the keyboard reboot keys son't work) then try again and it works every time.

I was thinking either too much power drain on the PCI bus, or a weak mobo battery. I have 5 PCI cards: Miles U2, ATI XClaim VR Rage Pro, TwinTurbo, ADS 3 port FireWire, ADS 2 port USB.

Any thoughts on which direction to look? Would a combo FW/USB card work better than the el-cheapo ADS cards?

Michael
06-13-2001, 02:47 PM
how old is the machine? if it's over 3 or 4 years old you might want to change the mobo battery.
M

trag
06-13-2001, 03:21 PM
If the battery doesn't help, try pulling all your RAM. There's 16 MB on the Motherboard. That probably won't be enough to boot from, however, if you get past the black screen with your RAM pulled then there's a good chance that you have a faulty module.

Also, you may wish to zap your PRAM if you have not already and press the CUDA switch. Sometimes you get some corruption in those settings which causes funny problems.

magician
06-15-2001, 09:39 AM
this sounds like memory to me, too.