PDA

View Full Version : Help with Radeon 7000 Mac Edition

jmsusko
08-29-2002, 09:27 AM
I searched this site as well as I could before posting so please excuse if this topic has been covered elsewhere...

I have a PowerMacintosh 9500/120 upgraded with XLR8 MachCarrier Mpe/G4 running at 439Mhz, backside cache running at (default) 219.9Mhz and 536mb of ram. MacOS 9.1. I have installed the Radeon 7000 Mac Edition and ATI drivers that came with the card (installed from the CD).

Here's what happens:
Even with my old CPU in place, I cannot get the display to any resolution better than 640x480. I have gone through reconfiguring back to 'zero' (orig CPU, ATI mach64, clean install of 9.0) then incrementally up through to the current setup. With the G4 in it gets worse - crashing at start up except with all extensions disabled which takes-out the video card (i think...)
What the heck do I need to do to get this card to work? Has anyone here solved this? (ATI Tech support only came up with "zap the PRAM" which caused me to go back to square one...) Your help would really be appreciated.

TZ
08-29-2002, 10:55 AM
Some of the new ATI updaters require 9.2, so that's out. You are not alone. I recall someone on the forum at www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) disabling one or two of the ATI extensions. It happened to me a couple times also. Sometimes deleting all of your display and monitor preferences, along with the ATI prefs, helps.

Don't know if you need a newer version of CarbonLib (1.6) or if you have Conflict Catcher to create dependencies and link sets, that helps me control extension related problems. another reason is to see if the system file needs minor repairs - do you have ResEdit? verify the system file. And, you can change the load order. Or try using Powerlogix rather than xlr8's cache software.

...and they think scsi is witchcraft!

Gregory

ricercar
08-29-2002, 02:17 PM
A Radeon 7000 works successfully for me on the VGA port at 1024x768, using MacOS 7.6.1, 8.6, 9.0.x, and 9.1 as long as OpenGL 1.2.2 is installed. However, your most likely problem is hardware: DDC monitor sense is probably not passing through the DVI-to-VGA adapter you're using.

You're probably using the bundled DVI-to-VGA adapter, because ATI recommends that 9500/8500 owners use a DVI-to-VGA adapter on the DVI port and ignore the VGA port. Radeon PCI and Radeon 7000 VGA ports are blocked by the 9500/8500 case PCI slot opening.

The bundled adapter never worked properly for me. Dollars to donuts, I bet it's not working for you. But hey, at least you got 640x480--I saw nothing on two different VGA monitors tested with the DVI adapter. I had to buy a DVI display (Thanks Gregory!)

People use the VGA port of the older Radeon PCI in 8500/9500 boxes by cutting plastic. If you're having problems with the R7000 DVI-to-VGA adapter, you should consider modifying the 9500 PCI slot to connect the VGA connector directly into the Radeon 7000 VGA port.

I didn't like cutting into my 9500s, so I ended up installing the R7000 on another machine. A 20th Anniversary Mac looks so damn cool driving an external flat panel on each side. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/cool.gif

ricercar

Everything seems like overkill until you get used to it. - Ironmac

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 29 August 2002).]

jmsusko
08-29-2002, 04:18 PM
Thanks for your help Gregory and ricercar... Here's what ended up working:

Uninstalled QuickTime (had 4.2 and 6 but no 5.)
Reinstalled QuickTime 5.x from the ATI cd.
Reinstalled QuickTime 6.0, d/l'ed from Apple.

D/l'ed tomereader and extracted the following:
OpenGL 1.2.2 from my MacOS 9.2.1 Image (all the files in the 1.2.2 set)
carbonlib 1.4 from my MacOS 9.2.2 Image
Dropped all the OpenGL 1.2.2 and the carbonlib files into my extensions folder - overwriting the old OpenGL 1.2 and carbonlib 1.1.1 stuff.

Reinstalled the ATI card and restarted (with all fingers crossed...)

- viola! still stuck at 640x480 until...
in the Monitors control panel I selected "millions" of colors and changed the resolution from show "recommended" to show "all".

From there I kept choosing higher and higher resolution at each available refresh rate until it wouldn't go any higher.

Moral of this story - My card and monitor combination lets me go as high as I want in resolution as long as I choose a refresh rate of 75Hz or lower.

...hope other people can use this.

P.S. I did end up 'modifying' my 9500 plastic (through the magic of Dremel) and use the VGA port without any adapter.

[This message has been edited by jmsusko (edited 29 August 2002).]

levelbest
09-04-2002, 12:14 AM
I just came across this thread. I use SwitchRes to unleash more resolutions than I had previously available on my 7600. It lets you test a bunch of settings.

I am not at all sure I understand all this talk of cutting on the 9500 case though. I have a 9600 and I am seriously thinking of getting the 7 series ATI Mac PCI card. I think that is what is being discussed? I don't have a flat panel monitor though. Would be nice to be able to drive one if I got one. But I really want to get Jaguar running so I want to move the graphics through this 21" monitor.

lb

jmsusko
10-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Well - so much for feelin' so smart and all... I just installed Unreal Tournament and while configuring it noticed that I can't take advantage of my gosh-awful fast Radeon 7000. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/mad.gif All I am able to choose is "software rendering". That got me thinking, am I getting any acceleration at all? I can only get my machine to start and keep running if I disable the "ATI Extension" and "ATI Resource Manager" extensions. Does that mean I have effectively shut-off my card?

I could really use some help. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/confused.gif

ricercar
10-03-2002, 06:23 PM
Software rendering may come because the Radeon 7000 lackS ATI's "Charisma" engine for 3D acceleration, which is found in the previous generation PCI Radeon Mac Editon, and the current 8500 series. The R7000 is marketed towards multiple-monitor 2D users rather than hardcore 3D gamers.

TriPhaze
10-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Unreal Tournament uses RAVE for 3D, so I don't believe the Charisma Engine would come into play. Something else is wrong. Make sure you have all the QuickDraw 3D components activated in the Extensions folder. ATI also recommends that you do not use version 1.7.x of the "QuickDrawȢ 3D RAVE" extension as it does not work correctly. Version 1.6 should be used for problem-free operation.

jmsusko
10-04-2002, 02:57 PM
ricercar, TriPhaze - thanks...

I am using version 1.6 of the "QuickDrawȢ 3D RAVE" extension from the QuickTime 4.1.2 install. Also, I have 100% of the QuickDraw 3D extensions enabled. I am about to resort to Conflict CatcherȢ to try and sort this out (which will probably take many hours http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif) I would appreciate learning about any known extension conflicts if you can shed some light...

------------------
- John S.
jmsusko1@comcast.net

[This message has been edited by jmsusko (edited 04 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by jmsusko (edited 05 October 2002).]

crazyeights
10-22-2002, 03:52 AM
Hi John, I got your message, but must take a pass on this problem since I have never used that card.

Just from reading this thread, it sounds to me like the guys you have helping you here are giviing you pretty damn good feedback.

Don't forget, you can use Extensions Manager to selectively turn your installed Extensions on or off.

I would tend to agree with what the others have said. Sounds like you have a conflict with something else.

One way to proceed would be to make an extension set that has the bare bones items for running your machine, and NOTHING ELSE. Turn on your 7000 extensions, and then after you get it running, add 3 extensions at a time and try to duplicate the problems. When you get to the point it occurs, you'll have it narrowed down to only 3 extensions causing the conflict. You can narrow it down from there.

Keep in mind though, After you find a set of 3 that has the offending extension, you should go on to test the remaining Extensions, just to be sure there's not more than one "troublemaker" extension.

Good luck with your mission!!

Regards,

8's

thilderi
11-04-2002, 11:40 AM
-----------

Hi,
I want to aknowledge thisbad experience with the Radeon 7000.
I have PM8600, with a Radeon 7000 Mac edition, running system 9.2.1.
When the ATI Resource manager is enabled, the system is very unstable.
When I am lucky, the system will start-up, but in 20% of the trials it will crash at the end of the extensions parade. However, after a succesful start, after 1 or 2 applications the system crashes definitively.

Such an application is the Extension manager!
Even with a minimised system (nearly all extensions disabled, only ATI extensions enabled) this faulty behaviour is still there! With the latest ATI 2.10 driver, I got an immediate crash!

I have some doubts regarding the scsi driver (Soft Raid)

System details: PM8600 Mach 5, XLR8 G3 accelarator, 400/200/1 Mbyte
Original scsi HD and 2 LVD drives, controlled by Miles 2 controller
EIZO L565 flatscreen (recommended!), using Radeon DVI interface
Orange 660 PC card, with own analogue interface to Flatscreen
(switches on front of the display)

Every suggestion is highly apperciated!!