PDA

View Full Version : ATi XClaim 3D + for a 9600?

All Systems Go
10-15-2002, 06:45 AM
Hi all
I really don't know much about video stuff so I'd like to ask if this card would be a suitable upgrade or extra for my 9600. I currently have a stock ims tt installed.

9600/300 512Mb
ATTO U3DC
36G Cheetah
Firewire
USB
Audiomedia 111

thanks in advance
Bernard

mactheripper
10-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Depends what you are getting it for. Stock IMS TT is a speedster in 2D (Sort of).
Are you planning to try to do rendering or complex 3D games? If so, a used or surplus Voodoo5 would be much faster.

Also, please let us know what OS version you are running.

All Systems Go
10-16-2002, 09:33 AM
I'm running OS9.1 and will mainly be doing Photoshop, Illustrator work, internet but no gaming. I find even scrolling through this forum is very slow.

Bernard

rwm
10-16-2002, 01:56 PM
From Gregory in another post...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Radeon PCI (2001) OEM from Image Solutions (http://store.yahoo.com/image-solutions/apatiradpcid.html) $169 or there is a Radeon 2001 PCI in the Sale Forum which is about the best choice in a PCI video card. The other choice seems to be the Radeon 7000 (~$119 or less). Both have good 2D and 32MB DDR but the 2001 or OEM version are better. I would not look to Apple for QE on PCI Radeon, but I use it in my B&W, it is better than w/o. That or replace your AGP with one that supports both ($$$) and has 64MB DDR or more. ATI 9000 maybe?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or cheaper yet? I would have to suggest an older unsupported card via eBay or a used card someone is selling - did you check the Guru's "For Sale" Forum? The VooDoo 3/4/5000 cards worked great in those machines - but no support. I think drivers can be found.

Try a search in "Video Upgrades" for "PCI" or "PCI graphics" or something simalar.

Randy

rwm
10-16-2002, 01:59 PM
Barefeats has some good info, comparsions for 2D/3D and more...
http://www.barefeats.com/speedtests.html#3D

Randy

All Systems Go
10-16-2002, 11:17 PM
Thanks all for the info..

I'll do some more home work.

Bernard

mactheripper
10-17-2002, 08:23 PM
If you find scrolling through the Forums slow, it may be your software. Scrolling in IE with a Twin Turbo 4MB is plenty fast for me.

Now, I'm running 8.6. I know, I know...
So there may be a speed difference in 9, but I would think if you have the 1.06 drivers (available on the ftp.macgurus.com site) your machine should feel snappy with the TT.

Also, TT drivers always have to load first. Mine have a space in front of their names to force them to load before everything else (except for Speed Doubler 8).
Let me know if this does anything for you.

All Systems Go
10-18-2002, 04:00 AM
thanks mactheripper...
__________________________________________________ ______
if you have the 1.06 drivers (available on the ftp.macgurus.com site) your machine should feel snappy with the TT.
__________________________________________________ _______

I can't seem to find the drivers... what folder are they in?

Bernard

tlooknbill
10-18-2002, 11:25 AM
I have a 9600/300 with the stock 8mb TT card. OS 8.5 CD I believe was the last one to have the most recent Apple driver 4.06. OWC has this driver but it may be the retail IXmicro version. Either one worked for me, but I read somewhere years back that the IXmicro version presented some minor conflicts with some machines.

Scrolling speed can also be controlled by the Keyboard control panel.

All Systems Go
10-19-2002, 07:13 AM
Thanks tlooknbill,
I found the driver.

OS9.1, must have differnet KB controll panel 'cause mine has no scroll ajustment. Any way I'll try this driver and see how it goes.

Bernard

All Systems Go
10-20-2002, 06:02 AM
Hey tlooknbill,
Awsome difference! Scrolls like lightning!

Thanks for the link.

Bernard

tlooknbill
10-20-2002, 03:34 PM
The keyboard control panel controls the up and down arrow keys. I have mine set to fast and short. I don't think it affects mouse scrolling.
The affect I believe is happening is the speed of pulses sent through the system when you hold the arrow keys down. I picked this up in MacWorld Mag several years ago. Also I've noticed there is a delay when first holding down the mouse for an extended period of time when using the window scroll arrows.

Your disk cache will also have an affect when you first open a window, such as (option-clicking) the triangle of your system folder in list view. At first, scrolling through the entire system folder will be somewhat slow, but close and reopen the same window or folder and your icons will fly. This is probably why window scrolling tests are'nt considered reliable on a lot of video card rating forums. Speed is in the architecture as well as in the hardware and software. I paid $2300 for my 9600 in '98 and my brother got a Walmart Acer 233mhz with 2mb video card running Win95 for $800 and for some reason folders and apps open and scroll perceptually so much faster than my machine, however, open and edit a huge Photoshop file and Acer goes crying to Momma!

This has made my day that I have finally helped somebody on any of these forums and I'm glad I helped you. Thanks for the reply.