PDA

View Full Version : Replacing heatsink with fan

rogerwilco99
09-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Has anyone here replaced the heatsink on their video card with a heatsink/fan?

I have a GF2MX and a GF4MX in two different machines. The heatsinks on these cards get hot enough to burn you. I'm thinking that can't be good for the card.

PC Power and Cooling sells a kit that you put a fan or heatsink and fan on a video card. I like the looks of the heatsink/fan combo but don't know how to get the heatsink off my video cards.

Does anyone know how to remove the heatsinks on these two cards safely? I'd like to keep my video cards cooler than they are.

Cheers all,
Bruce

rogerwilco99
09-18-2002, 05:46 PM
I'm answering my own question here.

I found a website (http://users.rcn.com/chinmonster/hsremove.htm) that shows how to get one of these heatsinks off. It's pretty easy actually. I've ordered a Thermaltake Blue Orb heatsink and fan for my GeForce2MX. It comes with pushpins which should make mounting it pretty easy on the GF2 card. It also comes with an adaptor so I can hook the fan up to one of the drive power connectors. There's no fan power connector on the Mac GF2MX (don't know if there's one on a PC version or not).

I'll probably end up doing the same thing on my GeForce4MX, too. The Blue Orb is only about $7.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the noise this fan will generate. At least I don't have to worry about the video card overheating, now.

Cheers all,
Bruce

mactheripper
09-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Nice work! While stock hear-dissipation devices are usually OK, it never hurts to keep your chips cooler. Who knows? They may even last longer.

Physical degradation of computer hardware is rarely discussed, but it's a reality. Please keep us updated on your progress so other people can see how you did it.

Thanks for posting.

rogerwilco99
09-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Well, I made the mistake and followed some advice from friend to try putting a heatsink and fan on the video card. I used an old Pentium 200 heatsink/fan combo and put some thermal grease on the video chip and the heatsink. I then attached that to the card through the mounting holes with a wire tie.

I think I've burned up my video card. I still get video out of it but it won't boot the machine. I get to the point where it first draws the menu bar and the machine just hangs. If I put the GeForce4 card in the machine it boots just fine. Bugger.

I cleaned up the goop and removed that heatsink/fan and waited for the Blue Orb to arrive. It arrived today. So I greased up the chip again and attached the Blue Orb.

The heatsink part will just barely fit on the card with it in the slot. It overhangs the PCI slot next to it and it lays on the top of the slot so it buzzes when the machine is on. It is also quite loud at 4600 rpm. You might not be able to hear it with the machine closed up but it makes the pci slot next to the agp slot useless.

I still think I may have burned up my video card, though. The back of the card gets warm but the heatsink doesn't. I get vertical lines through the mouse cursor then the machine locks as soon as the menu bar (not the text, just the bar) is drawn while booting OS 9.

It would appear that the jury rig with the old processor heatsink and fan was an expensive lesson (my friend Don is a moron and I'm a moron for listening to him). I'm going to make sure I don't have any of the grease between the leads on the video chip that could be partially shorting it. But I think it may be a lost cause. (a $200 mistake) http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

If cleaning the card and chipset thoroughly doesn't help, then I'll have to buy another video card. I'm not looking forward to dropping another $200 for another GeForce2MX. It's what came with the machine, though and that's what I'll replace it with.

If anyone has any ideas about how I might revive this video card, I'd love to hear them.

I don't recommend the Blue Orb unless you don't care about the noise or about losing a PCI slot. I care about both. So the Blue Orb might go into one of my PCs as a chipset cooler (it's other marketed use). But since I don't overclock, it's pretty much useless.

I may try the PC Power and Cooling vga chipset cooler. It appears to be pretty thin and they are noted for quiet devices. This was my first choice but the Blue Orb looked "cool".

Cheers all,
Bruce

rwm
09-23-2002, 11:55 PM
Bruce

Oh man. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Randy

rogerwilco99
09-24-2002, 05:24 PM
Hmmm, my wife the mind reader?...

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary (23 years on the 23rd...) and my wife bought me a Mac GeForce4TI for my anniversary gift!!! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I haven't told her anything about my little experiment with my video card. She knew I'd like to have one of those cards but this came at exactly the right time.

This is also the FIRST piece of computer hardware she has ever bought for me. It's absolutely what I wanted and needed. And all I expected was another shirt and tie for our anniversary. Go figure.

Cheers all,
Bruce

Dogstarman
09-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Bruce,

Congrats to the both of you, for many reasons.

Applause to her for this first (and mighty) Mac gift.

Good luck with the experiment.

mactheripper
09-24-2002, 09:59 PM
That is truly http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/kickass.gif

Your wife is one special woman. I need to find me one like that. Wow.

rogerwilco99
09-27-2002, 05:50 PM
The experiment continues. (with a little more care this time...)

I took my GeForce4MX heatsink off (it was mounted with pushpins) and mounted the VGA Chip Cooler on it from PC Power and Cooling. It seems to work pretty well. After playing Medal of Honor and Unreal Tournament for about an hour I touched the heatsink part and it was barely warm.

I can't hear the fan on it when the case is closed so it's not too noisy. I'm not too thrilled that I had to attach it using thermal tape (supplied). I would rather put some compound on it and be able to remove it easily.

The fan/heatsink is relatively thin compared to the Blue Orb and while it comes close to the 39160 card in the next PCI slot, it doesn't touch it. Except for the gripe over the thermal tape, this seems like a good way to keep the GeForce4MX chipset cooler than the heatsink that comes on the card.

The PC Power and Cooling fan is quieter than both the Blue Orb or the fan on my GeForce4 TI (which is absolutely awesome, BTW -- my wife is a REAL sweetie).

Seems like I managed to finish this experiment with only 1 casualty. And I have Jaguar on the way so I can reinstall OS X on these machines (I only had 10.1.0 on CD) so that should resolve that little issue, too.

Now, back to figuring out DVD Studio...

Cheers all,
Bruce