PDA

View Full Version : g4 rage pro in older 266 biege

droo@odometer.org
09-11-2002, 01:25 PM
hey kids,

i picked up this rage pro card (all it says is 3d rage pro pci) cheap a while back with hopes of using it on an even older machine since it had svideo out. it didn't work then, so i didn't bother doing anything with it until now.

now i'm trying to plug it into my old beige 266 and when i do nothing happens. the monitor status light goes green for a second then it's nothing.

one suspect should be an easy one for you guys. at the rear of the card there a slot for what looks like video ram, but it's empty. is this the problem, or should this card still work and is this slot for an upgrade in video ram.

any other ideas.

thanks
andrew

crazyeights
09-13-2002, 07:38 PM
Are you sure this is a Mac video card? There MUST be memory on the card for it to work. Is there other memory on the card?

Usually, a card is fully populated from the factory.

Use the web, and gather some info on that card....... then check it out and see if it's all there.....

8's

rogerwilco99
09-21-2002, 04:19 PM
If I remember correctly that memory slot is just for a memory upgrade. ATI usually uses the daughtercard approach for this (as well as other addons) but they flirted with a memory socket for upgrades on some cards, too. I think the Rage PRO cards were the only ones.

Cheers,
Bruce