PDA

View Full Version : MacOS 10.1 and GeForce4MX

rogerwilco99
09-13-2002, 05:46 PM
I recently purchased a GeForce4MX (NV17) card on eBay for my QS-733 which came with a GeForce2MX. I swapped the cards out and everything was just fine. It worked great. Real plug and play.

But I had to do a re-install of my system using the restore CD's that came with my machine. But I couldn't get any video when trying to restore from the CD and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that the GeForce4 wasn't supported by OS 10.1.0. Put the old video card back in it came up fine. I was going to sell the GeForce2MX card but I need it if I have to reload my system from the restore CD's again.

Anyone know a way around this other than buying 10.2? I know the problem is that the old restore CD's don't have support for the GeForce4 cards. I just don't know what to do about it.

Thanks,
Bruce

rwm
09-13-2002, 06:42 PM
Have you tried checking your software update - look in System Prefs -most likely on your dock - and it's in there on the bottom.

OR, apple's site must have it too.

Randy

rogerwilco99
09-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Thanks Randy,

The GeForce4 cards work just fine once you install the Apple updates. That's not my problem. The problem is that the 10.1.0 install from my restore CD's doesn't recognize the GeForce4 cards and won't startup with it in there. I can put the GF4 card back in once I've updated the OS to 10.1.3. I just wanted to know if anyone had a way that OS 10.1.0 could boot with the GF4 card in there. I have to get the machine booted before I can install the updates. And I can't boot with the GF4 card in the machine (have to revert to the GF2).

I guess the simplest thing to do is just buy Jaguar (10.2) and not have to worry about it. But $129 for an OS upgrade just grates a little. Especially since I only got OS X 8 months before. I may just wait for 10.2.1...

I'm going to cruise the message board at Apple and see if anyone there has found a fix for this little issue. I'll report here if I find out.

Cheers all,
Bruce

TZ
09-14-2002, 11:33 AM
Roger,

I would compare 10.1 as beta after using 10.2 for nearly a month. it's good as gold. i guess you could burn a CD, or boot from another drive rather than the CD and do what you need from there. I keep 10.2 on every drive (FireWire, IDE, 4 SCSI) which I swap between 'puters.

Gregory