PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 7000 & 8500 in same machine

chromatica
09-04-2002, 01:21 PM
I had a GF2MX in the AGP slot of my QS733 running one display, with a Radeon 7000 PCI running two displays, under 10.2 (and all previous 10 versions) without a problem. I just installed a 8500 AGP card, and am concerned that it is using extensions or whatnot of the 7000 instead of the 8500 ones built into 10.2. Is there any way for me to check that I am using this card to it's fullest potiential? I'm about to uninstall the 7000 and run two monitors just off the AGP card - I'll report back if that speeds things up noticeably. Currently, if I run a DVD I can make it skip just by dragging a terminal window (withOUT any transparency!) around on top of the DVD, or on the other two windows - sound jumps and the video gets jerky - I thought the 8500 would be able to handle much more than this - thus why I'm concerned.

Any thoughts?

jacob

-----

edit; Running two displays off of just the 8500 now, DVDs still skip, even if I just drag a textedit document around anywhere - either monitor, on top of the movie, etc. Also - shouldn't the DVD be able to play in either monitor since they are both accelerated, etc? I can't get it to move from the "main" display to the other.
In my extensions I have Radeon, Radeo8500, Rage128, and RagePro - I can't seem to delete all the ones besides the 8500 labeled, so I have no idea what is loading - thanks for any help.

Also, if anybody has posting access to xlr8yourmac.com, I'd really appreciate it if you'd post this over there for me - sure wish I could get posting access to that board http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jacob

[This message has been edited by chromatica (edited 04 September 2002).]

---

edit again; i tested xBack(screensaver in background instead of static image, used Flurry set on Fastest) on my quicksilver against a new 700mhz G3 ibook with radeon mobility - xBack runs TONS faster, with less slowdown in other apps compared to my QS - on my computer, the dock animation slows down and gets jerky, and other programs don't respond nearly as fast. the iBook (with only 16mb of vram!) runs it faster and more smooth.

[This message has been edited by chromatica (edited 04 September 2002).]