PDA

View Full Version : Rage 128 Question

Brian Higgins
08-02-2002, 03:07 PM
I have a Mac 7500 that has been upgraded to run OSX 1.5. I have a ATI Rage 128 card in one of the PCI slots to which the monitor is connected. and I have an adapter on the onboard video. Everything works fine.
My Question:

When the system boots up the screen in blank until the system switches over to the monitor on the Rage card for log-in. Thus I do not see the mac icon or the spinning beach ball . Is there any way to force OSX to start with the monitor on the ATI Rage card so I can see what is happening?
This is imporatnt if I have a problem such as a kernel panic. As it now stands I would not see any diagnostics when there is a problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

Brian

Regards,

Brian

TZ
08-02-2002, 03:40 PM
What happens if you remove the VRAM and adapter?

I was using a Radeon on my Beige but for same reason as you, decided I'd put up and use the 6MB onboard video so I could use fsck and open firmware, though I've rarely needed to and just moving the monitor from one port to the other works.

I wonder if a KVM switch is useful in those situations?

Gregory

Brian Higgins
08-02-2002, 04:38 PM
If I remove the adapter, then I have a kernel panic when I reboot. I am not sure about the VRAM. Can that be removed in a MAC 7500 ? If so would that resolve the issue that OSX will then not use the built-in video. If not I would guess I will get a kernel panic.

I don't have space on my desk for two monitors so the KVM switch does not seem like a solution. Also I would like to use the ATI Rage card.

Brian

ICCAFSN
08-09-2002, 04:16 AM
Do you have the latest XPostFacto kernel extensions installed? My 8500 would use to have kernel panics when I tried booting to my Ultimate Rez without an on-board adapter. However, I was able to boot without needing an adapter once I started using a particular version of XPostFacto. Eventually I upgraded to a Radeon, and I was able to run a single-monitor configuration (i.e. sans adapter) on my 8500. Of course, I've come to realize that when it comes to unsupported hardware and OS X, what works for me very likely may not work for you.

Brian Higgins
08-09-2002, 10:54 AM
That is very interesting! On my Mac 7500 I used the sonnet upgrade software (used the XPostFacto on my PowerTower Pro). Another problem I seem to have on the 7500 is loss of audio. Perhaps it is time to use XPostFacto on my 7500.

Thanks much for the suggestion.

Brian

rebecca
08-09-2002, 04:26 PM
Brian,

I have a 7600 (basically the same as yours) with a G3 upgrade card (XLR8), and the Rage Orion video card. I know I had to remove my onboard video for either the G3 or the Rage, but I can't remember which. It would be worth your while to try booting up after removing the VRAM, especially if you have the G3 upgrade card.

Good luck.

Brian Higgins
08-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try. By the way, where is the Vram located on the motherboard relative to the processor card. Does anyone have link to a pic that shows the location of the vram? Or is it strikingly obvious .

Brian

rebecca
08-10-2002, 12:28 AM
The VRAM is located on the logic board on the right side of the machine (under the main section that holds the drives), and is to the right of the PCI slots and behind the DIMM slots (as you face the machine). I know that the Gurus have a link to a pic, but I've forgotten where it is. The manual that came with the machine doesn't show it, but the downloadable version does. I don't remember where I got it, so I will send you an e-mail with it attached. Hope it helps!

magician
08-10-2002, 12:36 PM
here you go...

http://www.macgurus.com/graphics/motherboards/757600.gif

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Brian Higgins
08-11-2002, 06:25 PM
Thanks much! Will let everyomne know ho things worked out.

Brian

Brian Higgins
08-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Well, I took out the Vram and connected the monitor to the Rage 128 card. On reboot I got a blue screen with mac icon and spinning beach ball. Just as it was about to go to the login screen I got a kernel panic. Tried it several times; no luck. I then put the monitor adapter on the built-in video port and did a reboot. Saw nothing on the monitor until the login screen appeared. So what it is worth that is where I am now.

Question for RebeccaKW: do you still use an adapter on your built-in port. of your 7600?

Perhaps this is a difference between the sonnet software versus the XpostFacto software.

rebecca
08-12-2002, 12:12 AM
Brian - sorry to hear that you're still having problems, although the fact that you got the blue screen and spinning ball after taking out the VRAM is a sign you're moving in the right direction. I would leave it out for now until you try a few more things. I am not sure I know what to advise you at this point. Maybe try reseating the card? Cuda reset? More experienced users will hopefully stop in again shortly.

Kernel panic? Im not sure what that term means, although I've heard it mentioned a few times lately.

To answer your question - I am not using my built-in video port at all - just the Radion card. And no, I do not have an adapter, nor did I ever have one with my Sony. It just plugged and played.

Becky