PDA

View Full Version : OS X video card choices

levelbest
06-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Hi again,
I now have a 9600 I just picked up cheap. I am going to cannibalize my recently hot rodded 7600. I also picked up system X.1. So now all the pieces have come together, except for the video. I can't see running OS X without a good video card.

I assume this is an old topic by now? But I am finally ready to look into it. Which video cards will work well in OS X? I only am aware of two, the IX micro (8 megs) and the B&W OEM Rage Orion (16 megs). I have also been reading that the ATI 7000 will NOT work on the older PCI macs due to it dual head output and a OS X failure to handle that (so far). And I really think that 32 megs is a good idea with OS X.

And oh how I hate it when the Mac market gets crazy due to the limited choices of the market. I mean the prices of those B&W cards on ebay are getting ridiculous. More than a new 7000. And the ix micro was up last I checked.

I assume they are getting priced upwards because those are the only 2 choices any of us have with our 73/5/6 85/6 95/6 Macs? I like the Voodoo idea but last time I looked into those, they still were not OS X compatible.

lb

ICCAFSN
06-18-2002, 03:47 AM
According to this xlr8yourmac page (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/os_x_10_1_5_reports.html#storytop) the Radeon 7000 can work under OS X on a pre-beige G3 Mac (you must be running 10.1.5). There seem to be some issues related to sleep, but I think that would be your best bet of a video card since it would give you QuickTime acceleration & OpenGL support, along with a fast video chip at a decent price. Personally, I have a Radeon PCI (original) in my 8500 running OS X. Some gaming benchmarks showed that the original Radeon was faster (especially at higher resolutions) than the Radeon 7000, but it also costs a lot more and is no longer manufactured anyway.

powerpcman
06-23-2002, 12:50 PM
Hello,
You have some choices. The top choice would be the original Radeon PCI Mac Edition, or the Apple OEM Edition. Also, any Rage/Rage Pro PCI Card will work in X.
Michael