PDA

View Full Version : 3DFX VOODOO 5 5500 PCI in my PTP

mac-in-tosh
06-04-2002, 10:20 AM
Hello All,
Here I go again trying to upgrade my (old) PTP on a slim to almost nonexistent budget. I have the opportunity to upgrade my ims3dtt to a Voodoo 5 5500 for around $70.00. I read somewhere that 3dfx had gone under so I'm guessing that it's just a matter of time before drivers are hard to find but considering the age of the rest of my system I think the Voodoo card may be the least of my troubles in the future to upgrade. I have a Power/Logix G3/400 and I think that at least for now I'm content with OS 9.1, not really but that's a whole other topic. What I'd like to know is what people who own one or are in the 'know' think of the Voodoo 5 card. Thanks! and Be Well

mactheripper
06-06-2002, 12:04 AM
Voodoo 5500 PCI: I've got one. The last drivers for it are beta drivers 1.1.3. (We have them on the ftp site, and they are on download.com.)
I run mine in a 9500 XLR8 400/200, 384MB RAM, OS 8.6.

It ROCKS. Lightning fast, Oni full screen antialiasing, etc.
I was extremely pleased with it.

black-locust
06-06-2002, 02:50 AM
3dfx went under about a year ago, maybe a little longer but their cards were so popular, especially the Voodoo 5 that I would think someone somewhere would continue to update the drivers.

mac-in-tosh
06-06-2002, 02:15 PM
mactheripper is that "was" or is ?, Are you still using it ? I did a little research and I think I understand that the 1.3 software upgrade is third party with some problems. 1.2 is the last software supported by 3dfx? Several people have gone back to 1.2 and had to back flash to the previous firmware???

It seems that 95 % of the links for the Voodoo 5 are dead and Mac data and upgrades seem to be few and far between? I've found and a ton of PC data, drivers and patches but very little for Mac. Hopefully someone can point me to a good Mac site? My card should arrive tomorrow so hopefully I can find some current info; drivers, firmware so I have what I need when I install the card. Thanks for any help :-)

kaye
06-06-2002, 02:30 PM
I have a "was" situation too. Had the V5 PCI in an S900 Newer G3-500/250, 1040MB RAM, OS8.6, beta drivers 1.1.3. Card was extremely fast in 2D/3D for a vintage Mac. No problem whatsoever with the beta drivers thru OS8.6 anyway. It will cache fonts for 2D, which by itself accelerates 2D, and the FSAA is a very nice bonus. I also was extremely pleased but I retired the S900. Too many computers under foot. V5 is in my parts bin until I find a new home for it. k

mac-in-tosh
06-06-2002, 07:45 PM
It seems that I've been upgrading slower than most, but faster than some :-) I like OS 9.1 and wasn't that crazy about OS X or I think I may have upgraded faster. The next thing I plan to get for my PTP is a ZIF processor and donate my G3/400 to the kid's 9600. I know they would love to have your old Voodoo 5 card if you'd care to part with it?

I found, downloaded, and installed a copy of (1.1.2 ( 20 ) just prior to your post kaye. Hummmm what's in the 1.3 software that I may want or need?
Thanks!

kaye
06-06-2002, 08:57 PM
I'm going to keep it. Look here in the archives http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Archives/Archive-000015/HTML/20010513-11-000014.html for the small difference in performance with 1.1.3 which was end of life. I had no problems with the beta. k

M.Brane
06-06-2002, 11:08 PM
I run a 5500 in my 8500/G3 400/ OS 9.1 to drive a 17" and also run a 13" Apple mon. on the mobo VRAM (4MB). I had some issues with the 1.1.2 driver but the 1.1.3b driver solved 'em and it works great. One thing to be aware of is this card draws a lot of juice when both processors are running but that shouldn't be a problem in the PTP unless you have it full of cards that have a high current draw.

mac-in-tosh
06-06-2002, 11:50 PM
K, thanks for the link. I can certainly understand you wanting to keep your card, the more I read the more I'm impressed with it. Mine should be here tomorrow http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

So did you ever get into games? a quote from that old post "Jeez, I'm playing games? k " http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/dance.gif That sounds like me today. I think I'd enjoy the right game, whatever that is. I'm gettin on in age and don't want to have to take a 2-week coarse to learn how to start playing a game, and I'm not really into gore although firing at jets and other non-bleading objects is cool. I can remember playing Asteroids for hours but that wasn't on a home computer, actually that was before home computers were around (telling my age). I have a few flight sims and a Golf game (Links Pro) which is ok but not captivating. I'm thinking the flight sims might be a bit more attractive with the Voodoo 5 card but if I remember they also seemed more involved than I wanted to become. (That take a coarse thing) Have you played any of the Star Trek games? If not to complicated I think I'd like to give one a try. If you wouldn't mind would you look at this list (software) and see if there's anything you'd recommend for a beginner?
Thanks! and stay dry! Ken

Off the subject a little but what/where is the Bandit slot?, #1 PCI slot? http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/confused.gif http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=hwslu&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

MBrane; I also use two monitors a 17 and a 15". Right now there both running on ixMicro Ultimate Res cards, I've had problems with their (old) drivers with OS9.1 http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Where I can download the 1.1.3b drivers? That would be a great help!

kaye
06-07-2002, 12:58 AM
I don't have any of those games on your list except Diablo. Mine are all flight sims like X-Plane, Fly! II, Apache Longbow, Carrier, and F/A-18 Hornet 3.0. So far I have concentrated on X-Plane. They do get involved. Just setting up a joystick or yoke and rudder pedals via InputSprockets was a task for me. But I'm getting the hang of it. Once I've tried all the sims on my G4, I'm going to setup my PTP with all the sims and yoke and rudder pedals.

The BusMaster PCI slots are 1 and 4. Your PTP motherboard has two Bandit controllers for your PCI slots, one for slots 1 thru 3, and the other for slots 4 thru 6. k

mac-in-tosh
06-07-2002, 01:43 AM
That was me setting up my joystick for F/A-18 Korea, In fact if I recall correctly that's when I gave it up. I did however get the plane off the runway and into the air a couple of times with the mouse. I even shot down a mig or two and over all it seemed very cool but I definitely felt the need for flight school and a faster graphics card. If you don't mind would you give me your opinion on the (should be) order of my PCI cards?
SCSI
USB
Fire Wire
ixMicro ultra to be Voodoo 5
ixMicro for second monitor
Thanks!

black-locust
06-07-2002, 05:55 AM
Hey here is a great site in case you don't already know about it.
http://www.mac3dfx.com

kaye
06-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Well, i have not run dual video cards in a long time but i think I would start with this (you may very well need to change the slot assignments):

SCSI-1
ixMicro for second monitor-3
ixMicro ultra to be Voodoo 5-4
USB-5
FireWire-6

The reason for having only two PCI cards in the first three slots is that the Bandit chip controlling slots 1-3 also controls other I/O stuff and we are attempting to balance the load with the other Bandit controlling the three PCI cards in slots 4-6.

If that does not work, then:

SCSI-1
USB-2
ixMicro for second monitor-3
ixMicro ultra to be Voodoo 5-4
FireWire-6

You may still have to shuffle cards. k

mactheripper
06-07-2002, 10:05 PM
That was an is, not a was.

Har, har. I am gazing at this post on the Voodoo5 monitor. (I have another, run on an original 1996 IMS Twin Turbo 4MB, the greatest video card ever created for the money... )

I've never had problems with 1.1.3, but I'm not the gamer expert.