PDA

View Full Version : Something easy on the eyes please...

Iron_Buddha
04-08-2002, 06:01 PM
Grrrreetings,

Power Mac 8600/300, Sonnet G4 400mhz card, 416MB, 4MB vid RAM, 2 PCI slots available, Seagate Cuda 9.1.

I'm looking to pick up a nice 19" -21" CRT to upgrade from my No name, Sam's Club cheap'o generic 17" display with adapter. I am currently running this monitor at 1024x768 @ 74.9hz, 1000's of colors (won't do millions at this res). I like a lot of screen real estate. However, I'm not getting any younger (45...ouch) and eyestrain is a problem. I've done the RCA out to my 27 inch Pro Scan monitor but it's pretty lame.

Any thoughts on a good quality affordable CRT display that's easy on the eyes and, will I need a PCI vid card to run something a little better at the above res? I can't figure out if the puter's built in vid is the issue, the cheap monitor or both. Probably both.

I'm not doing anything demanding other than scanning and retouching old family photos, a lot of ebay and some CAD for theater. But I camp out in front of the screen for hours at a time and I'm getting cross-eyed.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

ib

ricks
04-08-2002, 06:17 PM
I bought a Viewsonic G-810. Some of the 21" Graphics models from Viewsonic cost around $6-700 and I found them to be really nice to use.

I would probably go get a Radeon 7000 to drive it. That will acomplish millions at 1152 X 870 or better. No problemo. I don't think the Gurus are stocking the Radeon yet, wish they were.

Only problem with the Radeon 7000 is it isn't OSX compatible at this time in your machine. Sure hope they solve that as I want one in my 8500 to run a bigger monitor in OSX.

My opinions on this aren't worth a whole lot, but it has worked for me.

Rick

RMac
04-10-2002, 08:04 PM
I have owned a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060U for over a year now, and I'm still deliriously happy with it. This is a flat screen CRT. It's a huge (22/20 inches) monitor, and not cheap, but works well with both my Power Tower Pro and my PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet). Max Res is 2048 x 1536 @ 50 to 75Hz.

It has two monitor inputs and automatically switches between them, and has a USB hub as well. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It sells in the $750-850 price range.

It's smaller brother, the Diamond Pro 900U, is 19/18" and uses the same technology, is a bargain at $350-400, but lacks dual inputs. Max Res is 1600 x 1200 @ 55 to 85Hz.

Check them out at http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/home/guide.cfm?division=Mitsubishi%20Monitors

mactheripper
04-12-2002, 10:23 PM
IMHO, if you can handle the heat output and deskspace requirements of a CRT, you will like the image quality and crispness way better for the money. Large beautiful flatscreens are mega-expensive and require adapters to get their digital signals.

I have a phenomenal Sony Multiscan 420GS 19" monitor that I run at 1280x1024 (or smaller for games). It is extremely sharp, bright, and has great controls that are easy to use.

When buying a monitor that you sit in front of for hours, image quality is of absolute importance. Insist on a Trinitron tube, a .25-.28 dot pitch, and a solid base with a good swivel. You won't regret it.

You will need a better card for such a monitor. I would check eBay for Rage128-based cards if you don't want to lay out for a new one. Or a Voodoo4 or 5. Even a Twin Turbo if you can find one.

my ten bucks.

Iron_Buddha
04-13-2002, 12:50 AM
Thanks for all the help. I do indeed want a good old CRT, 19" is preferred. I'll try to find a place where I can compare the Mitsu & Sony side by side and noodle around with them. Sony’s are of course unbeatable but Mitsu makes a fine product these days as well. Price is a factor as always. I am currently prowling eBay for a RAGE 128 16meg card or a Radeon Mac Edition 32MB DDR RAM for my trusty 8600. The RAGE seems a decent buy and should serve my needs as you thankfully pointed out.

I'm not a gamer or graphics pro, just someone who needs a clean flicker free screen to stare at. I want a card that will help me get everything the monitor has to offer so I get all the bang for the monitor buck. I also want the monitor to stay with me into the next puter purchase. Flat screen, schmat screen. Too expensive and not enough hellish heat! My sister will get the CTX 17" (I think that’s what it is, it’s so cheap they couldn’t afford to put the logo anywhere) I currently own to replace her pathetic 13" viewable something or other on her monster HP windows thingy.

Yours in Murine,

Ib

Iron_Buddha
05-20-2002, 11:30 AM
Just to follow up....ended up getting a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920 (19") and the Radeon 7000 Mac Edition 32MB PCI vid card. Very very happy. Nice crisp clear and large display. No more watery eyes, no more headaches.

Thanks to all for your input and advise.

Best,

ib