PDA

View Full Version : dv card for Blue and white G3

nachio
03-21-2002, 05:57 PM
I just purchased a nokia 800pro lcd monitor to run with my B/W G3 350. I am running i throught the analog connection, but would like to upgrade to a digital feed to improve image quality. Any ideas what kind of card I would need and were I would get one? The specs for the monitor's DV feed are P&D Connection or or DFP (with cable adapter)

Thanks for the help.

dragon_x
03-22-2002, 12:27 AM
I guess the 'standards' for digital video have not settled yet. The only two I know of are DVI and ADC (Apple Desktop Connector). Most of the retail Apple video cards come with the DVI option. I guess there are adaptors to be had. Some are expensive. Cards that I know have DVI
RADEON PCI (original) $170
RADEON 7000 PCI $130
3Dfx V4 PCI (no longer supported, but should work with 9) $50
3Dfx V5 PCI (same as above) $75
Any RAGE128Pros?
Any GF-2mx? (no retails of these I think)
Any GF-3/3mx? (not even sure if you can get this in PCI)
The other cards are AGP so that wont work...

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

ricks
03-22-2002, 12:54 AM
I have a Viewsonic that has DFP. I was able to get an adapter from Viewsonic to run it on my B&W with a Radeon Mac Edition via the DVI port on the Radeon. You should be able to find an adapter, DFP is history and most panel manufacturers will come up with adapters since no one is manufacturing a board that uses it anymore.

Rick

nachio
03-22-2002, 09:59 AM
thank guys,
Rick did you see a tremendous difference from the analog to dv connection in terms of sharpness?
I hate to go spend $150.00 for minimal improvement

thanks

ricks
03-22-2002, 12:08 PM
I never used the flatpanel off an analog adapter. I had a ATI board in a PC that had DFP connection that was the only place I used the panel. Can't tell you if it's much better than adapted, but I do like the flat panel. The DFP to DVI adapter cost me $24, I thought that was well worth the cost.

Now I'm in for it. Admitting to past PC use. I sought counseling, medical help, joined PCAnonymous. Finally my family hired a deprogrammer who removed all traces of DOS code from my system....

Actually a neighbor gave me the thing for my wife, complete with a Intel PIII computer, I thought it was a complete waste of a flat panel to install it on a PC so I stole it.

Rick