PDA

View Full Version : Video dying in BW G3. . .

unclemac
03-06-2002, 11:32 AM
I am trying to work a deal to pick up a BW G3 350 (rev 1), that has problems with corrupting data (I know that an ATA card will resolve), and has issues with its OEM ATI card.

there is a small vertical line, about 1-1/2" long, that follows the curser around, and various other anomolies, such as vertical lines across the entire screen during booting. I ran TTP 3.0.5 several times, and during video hardware tests the screen redraws are dog slow, and it always reports a hardware failure.

I have removed and reseated the card many times and even tried cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser - no difference. I have performed a clean install (OS 9.1 and 9.2), but the lines always return. If I wiggle the card slightly while the mac is running, the lines change on the screen. . . kind of like adjusting a set of rabbit ears for better reception!

My question is: is there any way to know or test if the problem is with the socket on the board and not the card? I don't have easy access to any other mac video card.

I don't want to spent a few hundred bucks only to find out the board is shot.

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited 06 March 2002).]

dragon_x
03-06-2002, 03:28 PM
Yes. You can put your stock ATI RAGE128 in any of your PCI slots. Theoretically the other slots are slower, since they are only 33Mhz and it only uses 32bits. With that card it will not matter - but I think you only get DVD assist (if you have the DVD Model) and its in the stock 'video' 66Mhz/32bit slot.

Hopefully it will be the card and not anything else. Even if you have the rare hardware daughter card its no big deal. You can get good DVD performance with an ATI RADEON 7000 PCI - 32MB DDR RAM, dual video support and good DVD playback (with an Apple DVD Player hack). It should be faster for 3D too.

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

Damien
03-06-2002, 03:41 PM
The DVD player will work fine from the 33 mhz slots I had one and did just that so that I could have an XClaim VR in the faster slot to try to get better video captures from it.

unclemac
03-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Ahhhh, great!

For some reason I was under the impression that the video slot was keyed differently, and that the stock card would not fit in the other slots. . .must pay more attention http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Next question: I don't anticipate using DVD often, but I would like to go to OS X and not look back (much). * IF * it is a board issue, do you think that performance will still be good for OS X ( I understand it is more video intensive, correct?) in a slower slot? Anything else to consider, like if I want to upgrade to say a XLR8 G4 500 or better?

Any word yet on when/how much the Gurus will be selling the Radeon 7000 for?

Thanks guys!

unclemac
03-07-2002, 05:03 PM
Tried another slot and there was no change, and Techtool failed the video test again, so it looks like it is just the card.

Thanks again!

dragon_x
03-07-2002, 08:46 PM
I had heard that you could only use the hardware DVD decoder option IF the ATI RAGE128DVD OEM card was in the first slot.... I got the cheap Yose model so I have no way to verify and the one person who I know has the YoseDVD setup does not move his parts around.

I play DVD's on my QuickSilver G4/867 via my RADEON PCI - works great - even at full screen and it only uses 1/2 the CPU or less (normally about 30 to 40%). I think the RADEON is slightly better than the standard RAGE128 at DVD assist. My PismoG3/400 works good for DVD. I think 400Mhz is probably the min you will want for DVD playback on G3/ATI (nonhardware) setup.

System 10.1 is somewhat video intensive. The DOC can spike my 867G4 to 100% with maginification and the 'genie' effect. You can turn that stuff down. Somethings do work slower - but that is the price of the advanced Display PDF. You get some nice benifits though. Disk I/O is WICKED FAST! http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/cool.gif

I think the list on the RADEON 7000 is $130. The Gurus will sell it around there, maybe a little lower. Not that I have any input, this is simply what I see based on the past. Everybody's gotta make a buck, right? http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

unclemac
03-08-2002, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the info. I will keep my eyes on the Gurus product lists.