PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 4 Ti Cross-Platform?

spodie
03-01-2002, 05:15 PM
Probably a dumb question, but does anyone know if nVidia is designing the GeForce 4 Ti to be cross-platform? Are the GeForce 4 Ti's in our new G4's different from those found in PC's? It would be so very cool if nVidia designed this card to go into both platforms and work flawlessly on either one.

If not, nVidia could take a cue from ATI's design and marketing of the Radeon line. Why in the world would an AGP Radeon card for a Mac cost as much as $150 more than the PC counterpart? How hard would it be for the card engineers to put both ROMs on a single card and have the drivers detect and enable whichever ROM they need?

It would be so nice to be able to walk into the local Worst Buy or Circuit Shi**y and buy the same card and pay the same price as your PC-hugging neighbor, wouldn't it? Maybe I'm expecting too much from nVidia and ATI. After all, we Mac users are a fringe market with little or no technical knowledge, right? None of us can open up our novelty computers and add RAM or a new hard drive or video card, can we? We have to pay some PC geek out the nose to do these things for us.

Anyone know any of the particulars about the GeForce 4 Ti? Anyone? Bueller?

ricercar
03-01-2002, 06:35 PM
Do not expect to see one NVIDIA card marketed for both platforms.

I work at NVIDIA. The GeForce 3 product manager told me last December that "We do not want to encourage or enable end users to use PC boards on Macintoshes."

Don't shoot the messenger.

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 01 March 2002).]

spodie
03-02-2002, 01:46 AM
Wow. That just floors me. Proof-positive that nVidia (and likely ATI as well) is out to fleece us faithful Mac users for no good reason other than our choice of platform. Well, nVidia. Can't say I'm surprised.

I can just see the boardroom meetings. "Let's not make the GeForce line work cross-platform because we can market a separate card to the Mac users for a higher price! We'll rake in millions!" "Those Mac users will have no choice but to buy our specially designed, Mac-branded GeForce 4 Ti and we will reap the profits!"

Corporate horsesh*t such as this makes me want to ditch computers altogether and drag out the typewriter and correction fluid. Maybe I just won't buy that new GeForce 4 Ti. Maybe I'll just stick with the GeForce 2 MX that came with my QuickSilver. Or better yet, maybe I'll just write some drivers for all the washed up Voodoo 5 cards out there - a Voodoo 5 AGP is a damn nice card. I would love to see Mac users get fed up with being fleeced and get rid of anything from any company such as nVidia or ATI.

I know. There aren't enough of us for them to care one way or the other. It's a real shame. People wonder why companies fail. It's the greed, folks. Eventually someone gets too greedy and the whole thing collapses. Does Enron ring any bells?
Sorry for the rant. I just can't stand corporate greed.

spaz2
03-02-2002, 02:51 AM
heh heh ricecar...

are you gonna toe the coperate line or are you gonna make a stand and give us the poop on nVidia and cross platform compat???? come on ...give... say uncle and join the livin'...

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ricercar
03-02-2002, 03:01 PM
So you want me to publish the GeForce register spec on MacGurus?
Sounds dangerous. You go first. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/crossbones.gif

You really don't need insider information. Evidence publically available suggests that GeForce controllers have been bi-endian, so that flashing a Wintel BIOS card with a Mac BIOS is worthwhile exercise for those with the capability. http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/flashing_pc_geforce3.html

Has NVIDIA offered only AGP cards on Macintosh? I want to put NVIDIA video cards in all my PCI macs, but haven't been in contact with anyone who can help me do this.

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 02 March 2002).]

MadDog
03-07-2002, 07:35 PM
The difference in design will likely be nothing more than a different sized flashROM. After all, why would NVidia go and spend a lot of money on a different card design when they can make the small flashROM change and prevent most, if not all people from cross flashing ?

Mad Dog

http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/jollyroger.gif

dragon_x
03-07-2002, 09:16 PM
nVidia, Apple and one reseller (builder) should officially support AGP and PCI cards for the Mac. They are REALLY stupid if they do not. It seems there are a lot of bright people in IT and Tech who do not have a clue...

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.