PDA

View Full Version : Beige G3 A/V Card

spaz2
02-05-2002, 07:03 PM
Heh all... This is not really an "upgrqade" question per say but more of a "How to get the most out of a built in Audio/VIDEO card" question. I posted here as it is sorta a Video upgrqrade issue but...if the MODS feal like movin' it over to a different forum it is OK with me...

Anyone know if it is possible to utilize the internal connections on the Beige G3's personality card? Specifically:

1) What can you connect to the A/V card's DAV connection and what will it allow you to do?
2) Can you use the A/V cards internal TV/FM Tuner connection? Apple just says that it is NOT used and does not say that it CANNOT be used...i.e can you use a TV tuner from a 6400 and plug it into this connection so as to watch TV??? Both have a ten pin connection...If it is do-able whatta yah need?
3) Can the infrared conntroller on the AV card be used? Again Apple says that it is not used but does not say that it cannot be used? Again, if it can be used what do yah need?

Specifics please... http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I am hopeful that these connections can be utilized but I dunno...thnx in advance for any input...

ricercar
02-07-2002, 01:14 AM
Last week I answered this question for the DAV slot in my 20th Anniversary Mac. The only interface I found for the DAV slot was the Avid Cinema PCI card, which connects to the DAV slot via ribbon cable. This page mentions Avid Cinema 1.1.5 software "version U3 for the G3 Mac." http://homepage.mac.com/zone6400/files/avidcinema.html

Software compatability appears to start with Quicktime3 era and go swiftly downhill from QT4 and MacOS 8.5, with few web pages even mentioning the Avid Cinema and MacOS 9.

A week of eBay searching found plenty of Avid software and high-end hardware, but _no_ Cinema cards, let alone a cheap one.

http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/hr.gif
PostScript

If you would be so kind, please describe the physical appearance and specific video functionality of your AV personality card? My G3 audio-only card has what appears to be the expected CommSlot II, but there's also a 26-pin male connector which I assume could host a video daughtercard if i wanted to drill more holes in the personality card's rear panel.

Also, have you seen a place with AV G3 personality cards for sale?

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 07 February 2002).]

spaz2
02-07-2002, 02:16 AM
heh rc...

Thanx for the tip re the Avid card...A local tech had already mentioned it to me but neither he nor I could find one in town nor could I track one down on the net...

RE. your request...go to Apple's Knowledge Base and do an expert search looking for article number 24235...shows both the A/V card with it's four connections and the Audio only card. If yah want more info I'd be happy to pull the card and count the pins and stuff but I don't have a digital camera so I can't take a photo...

[This message has been edited by spaz2 (edited 07 February 2002).]

ricercar
02-07-2002, 02:44 AM
no need to count the pins; your redirect to Apple site contained exactly the information i needed. thx spaz2