PDA

View Full Version : G3 AIO Video Upgrade Question (Again)

Diq
01-03-2002, 01:09 AM
I'm gonna ask again, 'cause now that I know a bit more (been reading the pages hear like they were the word of God...) about the insides of my computer, I think I can state my question a bit clearer.

Do any of you know of any upgrades for the All in One video card? The problem I am facing is that I want better graphics (ahhh Diablo II, where have you taken my soul?), but I am not up for buying a second monitor... yet. I just don't have the desk space for both the Hunchback, and a 2nd monitor. So, do any of you know of any cards that support the internal video connection like on the Rage 2+ (I think thats the name of my card)?

If you all can come up with anything, that would be loverly, thanks in advance,

Diq

[This message has been edited by Diq (edited 03 January 2002).]

Diq
01-16-2002, 11:12 PM
well, here is just an idea I came up with while doing about 90 on I-75 in the middle of Ohio, and I was wondering if someone could post a response regarding it. Do any version of iMac use a video card that would have the same connections for internal video as my AIO? any thought?

thanks,
Diq

ricks
01-16-2002, 11:43 PM
Hey Diq,
I looked into the iMac graphics thing. All of them are on motherboard units. That's first. Second, only the original imac rageIIc was PCI all since have been 2X AGP graphics. Interesting that something not mentioned ever is both an internal monitor connector and a VGA connector on the motherboard of all the imacs since the original.

A couple things come to mind on AIO video upgrades.

1: Nobody makes a video upgrade card that I've seen that has internal connections.

2: All PCI cards have just a few types of common connectors VGA, DVI, etc.

If your going to upgrade the internal monitor you'd need a cable adapter that would allow you to connect whatever you have internally on your current graphics to monitor cable into the external port, whatever that turns out to be, on your graphics card.

I would think the way to accomplish this is to start with the connector that is on your AIO monitor cable. Whatever that is is going to determine what is possible to do, if anything.

Apple did a good job making this and the iMac non-upgradable.

Rick

crazyeights
01-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Diq,

The AIO shipped with 2MB of SGRAM on the main logic board, and has an additional slot that will take another 2MB or 4MB SGRAM stick. I'm just parroting the tech notes on the page for additional video RAM for that machine. The link is at the bottom of this post. But in regards to your question, here's part of what it says:

"It should be noted that expanding video memory in the Apple G3, iMac, and AIO increases the maximum color depth at some monitor resolutions, but maxes out at 1280 x 1024 at 60Hz with 6MB in the Apple G3, and 1024 x 768 at 75Hz with 6MB in the Apple iMac. It should also be noted that the video architecture of these Power Macintosh makes unused video memory available to QuickDraw3D applications for textures, accelerating QD3D performance. "

Look down the page to where it says; "The 144-pin SO-DIMMs on this page support:" That's where you'll find the pertinent information....here's the link:
http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/obj_show_page.cgi?vram.html

A 4MB SGRAM stick is less than $45 bucks, and may help a fair amount.

regards,

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 16 January 2002).]

Diq
01-18-2002, 02:12 AM
thanks c8, i should have mentioned this before, but I have already maxed my vram to 6 megs. The reason I am so damned annoying with these questions is that after using os 9, X seems incredibly slow. I saw reference to the need of at least a 16 meg card to get the full flavor of X in another thread (can't remember which at this point), and I really think that X would flow much better with a better card. I am getting to the point that I would be willing to get a second monitor for this beast, but if I could replace my current card with another that was designed with an internal monitor in mind, that would be lovely. Another route I had briefly thought of would be to somehow convert the internal connector to that of an external, but I am quite low on the knowledge necessary for such an action. Thanks again,

Diq

lasvegas
01-18-2002, 03:29 AM
The display in your AIO is simply an SVGA monitor with a different and internal connector. If you're handy with a soldering iron and can trace the connections on that internal connector to determine the SVGA signals all you really need are the Red, Green, Blue, Vert Sync, Horz Sync and ground lines. If the sense lines are supported on that connector, you could connect those. This would also leave the built in video port for an external monitor.

Now, I haven't had the chance to get a close look inside the AIO, but I'm sure this is a do-able mod.

Diq
02-06-2002, 09:34 PM
thanks LV for the help, sorry I've taken so long in getting back to this, I've been without a working net connection after coming back to school, had to leave my beast at home while I hopped a Greyhound to school. But now its back, and I was wondering if you might be able to point me in the right direction as far as how to learn what the modding procedures would be. Whould I cross post to the "Custom Configurations" forum? Thanks again for all the patience you guys put forth for those of us who just never quite get it right away,

Diq

lasvegas
02-07-2002, 03:23 AM
Sorry! I wish I could help you more. I don't know the pinout of the PERCH card that connects to your built-in monitor. If I had access to an AIO, I would likely be able to determine the pinout quite easily and give detailed descriptions as to how to perform a modification such as this.