PDA

View Full Version : Proformance 3 and OS X

chatwood2
01-25-2002, 01:07 PM
Just letting everyone know -

I recently purchased an SGI 1600sw [drool starts flowing down face], and it arrived today [drool now soaking clothes]. With it I got an Formac ProFormace 3 plus with the SGI daughter card. Plug it all in and boot into OS X, and everything works great! I didnt have to install drivers and it automatically went to 1600x1024.

I was surprised because I didnt know that these Formac cards would work in OS X. But they work great, though I have put the display on thousands of colors for most work to speed up the GUI.

Do the Gurus still have any of these cards?

- Chris

[This message has been edited by chatwood2 (edited 25 January 2002).]

crazyeights
01-28-2002, 01:42 AM
Hi chatwood,

Magician keeps track of stock in trade on the website, and we haven't had the Formac stuff on the site for a couple/few months. My guess is that it's gone. If not, one of the guys will pipe up, I'm sure. But, about 99.8% sure it's gone.

We will be stocking the Radeon 7000, as well as the regular radeon boards (AGP and PCI) here at MacGurus, as soon as the 7000 fills the distribution channels.

I believe that new Radeon has dual video outs.

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 28 January 2002).]

mactheripper
01-28-2002, 02:16 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, those Formac boards were totally rad, and they're all gonzo. We were pissed, too.

Everything 'eights said is gospel.

dragon_x
01-28-2002, 10:29 PM
8's is correct

The ATI 7K is the old VE that ATI never released. It works fine on vintage Macs in 9.1/9.2x, but not in X (so far) and neither in X on the beigeG3 systems (again so far, but then this is a SUPPORTED system).

Apple is going with the GF-4mx or ATI 7500 AGP for OEM deals. I forget if there were any optional additional monitor cards (for a 3rd). My guess is that Apple will want to to go to Gurus to get this since a 3 (or 6) monitor setup is not very common - even among Mac users.

The ATI AGP 8500 will fill out the highend - this should be as fast or nearly as fast as the GF-3/GF-4mx is in 3D. You will probably want to get a G4/933 to take FULL advantage of the 3D on that card though.

Hopefully ATI will get off their arse and start to sell some cards.

There is more info on the http://www.xlr8yourmac.com forums http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

------------------
I'm back!