PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 7000

titanium
01-19-2002, 11:50 PM
I recently got my hands on a Radeon 7000 which I planned to use for OS X in my 8500/180 w/ XLR8 G3/466 (and as a secondary card when I get a new comp). I already had OS X (10.1) up and running on my secondary hard drive connected to the original SCSI bus running a monitor off of the built in video (thanks to XPostFacto). So, I install the neccesary Radeon 7000 drivers off of the supplied CD (v. 1.0.0), shut down, reset cuda, install card, and reboot. The monitor showed a sign of life (the light flashed green) for a split second before it shut itself back off. I restarted in OS 9.1/9.2.1 (Finder--9.2 System--9.1) and the card works perfectly.

At first, I thought this problem was caused by running OS X on an unsupported system, but after a quick trip to xlr8yourmac.com, it turns out that every single person who installed this card in their beige G3 is having this very same problem. (Note: The card works like a charm in all B&W G3's and all G4 towers from what I understand.)

I just thought I'd send a word of warning to all of you beige G3 owners looking for a new graphics card, and to seek the gurus help http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

BTW, I am still unable to install OS X on my Cheetah attached to Miles2. I downloaded the latest version of SmartSCSI (1.05) that I could find along with the latest sim file (which is identified as 3.06 in SmartSCSI). I tried the sim files from the gurus ftp site, but SmartSCSI regarded them as "invalid firmware". Which firmware do I need to install 10.0.3 (the only full install OS X CD I have)?

ICCAFSN
01-20-2002, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the warning about the Radeon 7000 under OS X on a pre-beige Mac. I have an upgraded 8500 as well and I was wondering about the very thing you posted. I'll wait for ATI to get their rears in gear. You'd think after so many years of selling Mac products that they might be able to get it right just one of those times.

dragon_x
01-20-2002, 06:56 AM
The beigeG3 systems (gossamer) are not 'new world macs' and are not well supported in X - yet.

X also seems to have issues with computers with built-in video - the 8500 and beigeG3 are among them as you know. Maybe this is party causing the problems? Has anybody with a 9500/9600 tried this?

To run a Miles card you need the 'X firmware', but they no longer support 'unsupported systems'. So in theory you could update the firmware on the Miles card for X, but it will only work on a beigeG3 or newer. Without the firmware upgrade X will not see any drives attached to the card http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

You might be better off with the Adaptec2940U2b (OEM). This was included with many B&WG3s (yosemite) and it should work fine in X. I am running one in my B&W and it works great in X, except that now I have a V5 in the system, so I do not want to mess with the V5 vs. X issues. This card may work well in unsupported systems and it is cheap http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I think the Gurus may have some stock.

ATI has always had driver issues. I do not think they ever resolved the issues between the ATI RAGE (whatever) and the AT VR (xlclaim) cards. Overall their drivers and support are decient (some will disagree I am sure) but I doubt they will do anything special - like to make the RADEON 7K work in X on unsupported systems. It looks like a nice card other wise though and its fairly cheap!

titanium
01-20-2002, 10:44 AM
So, in other words, you're saying that ATI will not fix compatibility issues between a machine they said they supported and OS X? The main people who bought this card are the owners of older macs (including beige G3's, B&W G3's, old power macs). Even my Voodoo3 2000 at least got video when I booted in OS X; it seems that it would be harder to make a card that didn't than one that did.

I don't understand what you're saying about X Firmware... As I understood it, all firmware beginning in 3.xx was OS X and all 1.xx was OS 9. The only OS X firmware I can install is "3.00" (titled OSX 3.20 on gurus ftp) and "3.06" (from initio) according to SmartSCSI 1.05.

dragon_x
01-21-2002, 12:14 AM
I can not speak for ATI, but from what I have seen in the past - I doubt that they will release any kind of fix. ATI rarely goes out to say, "We no longer support this." There is a list of features that they were suppose to release years ago...

I would guess ATI might release a fix for the BeigeG3s - but it could take a long while. I am sure the card will work great in classic on the old systems and It will work great in X on the Yosemite. Pathetic, but that is ATI.

The file that is downloaded for Initio is called 'archive.sit' - this contains all the latests firmware for Mac OS X and also has apps native to classic and native to X. The Smart SCSI 3.04 is the classic app for the BlueNote IIRC. Kind of confusing, I guess.

lasvegas
01-21-2002, 02:50 AM
To convert your Miles2 card back to full OS X support you need to flash it twice! First, download the SmartSCSI 1.04 with the sim file (http://www.initio.com/drivers/1.04%20and%20sim.sit) to downgrade your card. Reboot into OS 9 and then use the SmartSCSI and 3.02 sim file from the MacGurus ftp site (ftp://ftp.macgurus.com/%2fftp/initio_stuff/OSX_Firmware/A100_U2W/) to flash it again. This will allow your system to boot from and/or use the Miles2 in OS X.

titanium
01-21-2002, 12:55 PM
I screwed something up.

I downgraded my card yesterday (before I saw that link in lasvegas's message), and I must have flashed it to an older ROM than it shipped with. OS 9.2.1 System Proflier reports it as a "PCI Slot". I've tried every OS 9 version of SmartSCSI I could find, but they all unexpectedly quit...

Anyone else done something this stupid http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif?

01-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Yes we all have at one time or another and often again, and again - most of my real biggies were a years ago of another nature so no real info to help just moral support.

The good crew here will help you out.

Randy

ricks
01-21-2002, 10:04 PM
Hey Titanium,
I got nothin' to help with your problem, but I can tell ya one thing, I know how to say 'DOH'!!!!
Rick

lasvegas
01-22-2002, 02:57 AM
Give Initio tech support a call. My board wouldn't initially flash and they had me send it to them. They flashed it for me and sent it back in 2 days. I respect companies who really stand by their product like that.

titanium
01-22-2002, 09:08 PM
I called initio tech support, and was I ever pleasantly suprised. No answering/transferring machines or robotic voices, just real people (or person.. hehe). He was understanding and told me to try the PC ROM flasher which he would send me via e-mail. 5 minutes later, sure enough, he sent it to me. It's an autoexec.bat file that must be run on a PC and will return a card to it's original settings (including the mac ROM I'm assuming). Tomorrow, I will give it to my peecee friend and hopefully he can figure it out.

Now back on topic... Anyone know what ATI plans to do about the beige G3/OS X/Radeon 7000 topic? They still haven't replied to my e-mail... If only everyone could be like initio.

kaye
01-22-2002, 11:38 PM
titanium,

Can you email that PC ROM flasher file to me? I have two Miles2 I would like to get back to earlier firmware and to put the file on the ftp site. k

titanium
01-23-2002, 07:12 AM
It should be on the way.

kaye
01-23-2002, 09:11 AM
Got it. Thanks very much. Now to go to the next room (my son's) where all the semi-operating PeeCees reside. One Mac there, an S900, which always runs, his backup. k

titanium
01-27-2002, 12:04 AM
I tried the ROM flasher, but it froze after displaying some driver info. Kaye, did you have any luck?