PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo 4 vs Radeon

discodan
01-24-2002, 01:21 PM
This is kinda a silly question, but I only know how to install the things, not how they work. Sorta. Anyhow, I have a Voodoo4 running in a beige G3. It runs fine for most of the time, a little quirky every now and then. The driver is the last of its kind and a beta at that.
My problem is that I saw a great price for the Radeon Mac edition, not the 7000, for about $145. I am very tempted to buy this, but am held back by the fact the Voodoo card works fine. For now.
Is it worth ditching a perfectly usable card for one that, as far as I know, doesn't really offer any significant upgrades?
Can anyone bring some enlightenment to this?

Disco

Liz
01-24-2002, 02:43 PM
Do you want to watch DVDs on your computer or upgrade to OS X? If so, get the Radeon. Otherwise, the Voodoo is fine.

PENDRAGON18
01-24-2002, 04:23 PM
The 2D, QT & DVD (if you have a player) is better on the RADEON. Make sure you get the PCI version - AGP will not work in your mac (or even fit).

I would say the RADEON PCI is better than the V4, but I would give the V5 the advantage in 3D games like UT over the RADEON. You can run FSAA in the V4, but it will slow it down - the V5 can run 2xFSAA without a noticable slow down - and it looks great.

To max out the 3D in the RADEON you need a 733MhzG4 (maybe faster), but a 300Mhz should be ok.

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!

discodan
01-24-2002, 05:07 PM
Hmmm, so far, so good.

I use my machine mainly for graphic work, some basic 3D stuff, light video, and a bit of gaming. I don't have any DVD ambitions¬ómuch rather lay on the couch and do that.
I've noticed that the G3 is taxed significantly when rendering in 3D, but I don't know if that is due to the G3, the video card, or both. The Chopshop work is gonna be less efficient than a G4, that much I can accept. And the video stuff is handled well enough for my purposes. I think what worries me the most is the time frame before the Voodoo4 gets left behind by new software.

From these initial posts, it looks like I'm gonna lean towards keeping the Voodoo around.

rwm
01-24-2002, 05:26 PM
I don't know if this will help... or how related it might be to your needs. Worth looking at.

A VooDoo 3/3000 in a G3 vs. the G4 http://www.barefeats.com/G4shoot.html

Randy