PDA

View Full Version : Any Dip Switch Experts?

pixpicker
01-12-2002, 05:46 PM
This is probably a basic question but here goes. A friend gave me a Pro View 17" monitor that works fine. I know, not a great screen but fine for a 4th computer. The only VGA to Mac adaptor I could find in the vault is a RasterOps with two rows of six dip switches. Can this adaptor be used? If so, any suggestions on how to configure the switches? If not, what are my options? Trial and error has only resulted in error.

lasvegas
01-13-2002, 01:15 AM
What you have there is a Universal Video Adapter. Unfortunately, if switch settings aren't printed on the device then, unless someone here has the specs on that particular adapter, setting it would be trial and error. You need to restart the computer after each switch change to see the results.

pixpicker
01-13-2002, 10:04 AM
Thanks lasvegas. There are settings posted on the switch but none that correspond to the monitor. The closest is 1152 X 870 which does not work with this monitor that claims to get 1280 x 1024. If I understand you correctly there should be some combination of pin settings that will work. I guess I'll start from the closest setting and try variations from that point. ProView offers no Mac support and I understand their PC support isn't much better. Here's another question though. Would the switches on each row have to be identically set? For example, if switch #1 on the top row were turned on would #1 on the bottom row also have to be turned on or could it be #1 top row on and #1 bottom row off? Any suggestions welcomed.

[This message has been edited by pixpicker (edited 13 January 2002).]

lasvegas
01-13-2002, 04:02 PM
Look for the multi-sync settings. That for the horz and vert sync need to be on for modern SVGA displays. Also you want the switch designated for Sync-on-green turned off. Each row of switches are independent of each other. The settings printed on the device should indicate this.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 13 January 2002).]

pixpicker
01-15-2002, 11:01 AM
On this adaptor the only settings posted are for row #1 at different resolutions. I've given up on trial and error because of the mathematical permutations. I remembered I had another adaptor on a different machine with no dip switches so I swapped it and it worked perfectly. I dredged up a similar adaptor that was in a junk drawer at work. As an interesting aside, a salesman at Comp USA tried to sell me a dip switch adaptor for 50 bucks! He claimed there was no such thing as an adaptor without dip switches.

lasvegas
01-16-2002, 02:59 AM
He claimed there was no such thing as an adaptor without dip switches.

I can't wait until Apple has enough stores of their own that they abandon IncompUSA to allow their inevitable demise!

The only problem with adapters that don't have switches is that they are usually fixed resolution adapters. Sony and NEC used to send a free Multisync adapter for the asking if you called them and told them you bought their monitor for your Mac. If your adapter only offers one resolution, download and install SwitchRes (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=4340&db=mac) to activate all the other resolutions your monitor is capable of supporting.

BTW: I'm always touting this great SwitchRes program simply because I'm a very satisfied customer! I've been relying on it for years since System 7.5 and couldn't compute without it! I have no affiliation with the author.

pixpicker
01-16-2002, 10:35 AM
Thanks much lasvegas. The non dip switch adaptors I have support three resolutions up to 1152 X 870. My upgraded 6110 won't support beyond 832 x 624 anyway because the Newer card hogs two slots and eliminates the possibility of a video card. It's annoying but passable on a third computer. The ProView monitor is actually better than I thought but my expectations were very low to begin with. You're right about Comp USA which I mostly avoid.